induction ready brew pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
i am moving from stove top to basement via 3500w induction burner. i am looking for a 9-11 gallon pot for partial mashes and eventually BIAB boils. i have read that anything magnetic will work. however, how well will it work? i am guessing the more magnetic the pot the better it is for an induction range? i was hoping to get the bayou classic set up with basket and spigot that is 18/8 or 304 stainless. i am finding mixed answers and it seems to be that 400 series stainless is more magnetic due to no nickel being in the mix. i was hoping for a tall/skinny style pot as the burner is only 14 inches wide. any recommendations? thanks -Kevin

the greater the iron content, the greater the inductive coupling between the pot and the coil. the ingredients of all common steel alloys are available online. look for an alloy higher in iron content for the best results.

i have been searching all over the internet for a week. i haven't found specific iron content, just the chromium/nickel ratio. It appears that 18/0 or (400 series SS) is the most ferritic because of not having nickel, but i am having a hell of a time finding 400 series pots online. the couple i have found seem to be the wide/short style. i have seen many sites saying that 300 series steel is not magnetic but others selling 18/10 induction friendly pots.

long story short am i over analyzing how "magnetic" the pot needs to be and just go with the "if a magnet sticks i am good to go philosophy?"

Also if there is a major benefit to a more magnetic pot. am i better off with a higher magnetic pot that is an inch or 2 bigger than my burner or a lesser magnetic pot that fits the burner perfect.

i believe those are all 18/10 or 18/8 300 series pots. aluminum isn't magnetic so the clad doesn't help with the actual induction heating but is instead is used for better heat conduction than just straight Stainless. They are Induction friendly because of the outer layer of stainless steel not the Aluminum clad. I guess this more so confirms that as long as a magnet sticks its good enough and the difference beyond that is minimal?

i believe those are all 18/10 or 18/8 300 series pots. aluminum isn't magnetic so the clad doesn't help with the actual induction heating but is instead is used for better heat conduction than just straight Stainless. They are Induction friendly because of the outer layer of stainless steel not the Aluminum clad. I guess this more so confirms that as long as a magnet sticks its good enough and the difference beyond that is minimal?

I would be inclined to agree. As long as the magnet sticks, you should be fine, especially with 3500 watts.

Back