NB Saison Extract Kit Fermentation Temp (wyeast 3522)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suenodos

Reaction score
I have a NB Saison Extract Kit that I'm doing today. I am using Wyeast 3522. I have read many different ideas on how to achieve the best Saison flavor.

Some people say that you should ramp the temperature up so that you do not create bad alcohols or off flavors.

Other people say that you should just hold steady and be nice to Wyeast 3522 because it is not like a real traditional Saison yeast strain. So therefore, does not need to be stressed in temperature to fully complete its process.

1) Which route should I take?

P.s. I don't know if this matters or not, but I plan to use this yeast again in a higher OG brew after the Saison is complete. Does stressing the yeast and rising temperature compromise the yeast?

2) Would it be bad to reuse this yeast under these conditions?

How did your saison turn out? I've used the 3522 twice now. The first beer had an OG of 1066 and my second which is still fermenting had an OG of 1076. I'm curious was yours a fast ferment? Both times I've used this most of my airlock activity had died down within 5-6 days after pitching. I have fermented this beer with ambient temps between 78-80 degrees and while I haven't tasted the second batch the first one turned out excellent. I also did taste the samples from my starters and they tasted like a Belgian beer should taste. Living in Florida this yeast is perfect for me and will use it year round.

The Saison turned out to be my most interesting brew ever. The yeast was held solid at 80 degrees via fish tank heater because I live in Wisconsin hah. The 3522 yeast went into high fermentation for just a few days like you said. It died down pretty quick. I didn't touch it for 5 weeks and then I bottled it.

The flavor of the saison has changed dramatically over the course of the last few months. 2 weeks, it was a strange salty funk. 6 weeks in it was white pepper salty mess. Now that its October, when I bottled it in August. The flavor is bitter, white pepper, dark fruit malt backing, salty, spicy, belgian funk. It is most interesting when you try it at different temps. I would recommend trying it at room temp and cold.

I will be using this yeast again, I'm most likely going to keep the temp higher and longer next time. I want to see how far this yeast can go.

Back