Hybrid Conical fermentor idea...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewman !

Reaction score
Remember when you were a kid and milk came in bags ?

Has anyone purchased a wine kit lately and noticed that the juice comes in bags and it stores for months without oxidizing ?

So, what if we cut the bottom off a Corny keg.

Made a plastic bag that was the right diameter to slip over the bottom of the corny keg and hold it in place with a hose clamp. The bag would be made of shipping sleeve plastic, welded together by a bag sealer. The bag could be made in a cone shape.

At the bottom of the cone we could have a plastic valve held on by a hose clamp.

Here is a roll of tubing that can be heat sealed into bags. Note that it is FDA approved.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs...m.itemKey=30105638&infoParam.picGroupKey=1909

Here are all the sizes available.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs....categoryKey=1786&REQ_SUB_CAT=Bags#gridAnchor

Here is a heat sealer. I already own one.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs...arams.categoryKey=1785&REQ_SUB_CAT=Bag Sealer

The circumference of a corny is 26 3/4".

Would it work ?

One nice thing about it is that you could see the yeast collecting in the bottom. And you could manipulate the bag with your hand to get it down in the valve to be released.

Interesting thought, brewman. Allow me to share another idea.

Stick the bag, fully deflated, inside the corny. Attach an air pump on the outside. Fill with beer.

Now, when you want beer, inflate the bag with the pump. No air gets in, no oxidation, just fresh carbonated beer without CO2.

I like your idea too. Seems like the material you're talking about should have a lot of uses.

Toot said:
Interesting thought, brewman. Allow me to share another idea.
Stick the bag, fully deflated, inside the corny. Attach an air pump on the outside. Fill with beer.
Now, when you want beer, inflate the bag with the pump. No air gets in, no oxidation, just fresh carbonated beer without CO2.
I like your idea too. Seems like the material you're talking about should have a lot of uses.

That's a bit like the Party pig idea.

I'm not sure I'd trust 5 gallon of beer to the weld of the plastic. Over 20kg of beer on the floor!

I love these out of the box ideas though. Man after my own.

orfy said:
That's a bit like the Party pig idea.

I'm not sure I'd trust 5 gallon of beer to the weld of the plastic. Over 20kg of beer on the floor!

I love these out of the box ideas though. Man after my own.

Ah, but orfy, if the plastic bag fails, the only thing that happens is that you have to drink the corny in the next 6 hours or so. In other words, it's not a huge deal. Since the bag is inside, it won't be spilling the beer anywhere.

As for trusting the plastic welds, it all depends on how thick the plastic was. I remember in high school, they used to deliver probably 20 gallons of milk inside a flexible plastic container, inside a carboard box. McDonald's does orange juice this way too, I noticed. Plastic can be incredibly strong if you select the right stuff and make it thick enough.

Sorry toot the failing bit was about the conical suggestion.

Regarding the milk in a box, it's the box that takes the weight the plastic is a waterproof membrane.

Back