How much did I waste by doing this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird

Reaction score
Well, long story short, I use a homemade double bucket lauter tun (2 nested buckets, inner drilled w/ a million 1/8" holes, outer with a spigot). Has worked OK on recipes with a lot of 6 row. Didn't do so hot on my last Light - got stuck a couple times... Flaked maize gets gooey like.

So, tonight, I decide I gotta make some quick brew to get by on while the good stuff conditions. I used 5 lb 2 row pale, 1 lb 6 row pale, and 2 lb flaked maize.

I just sat my inner bucket over the boil pot, and dipped the grain by the quart into it and let 'er run into the boil pot. Didn't feel like catching the wort until it cleared, and recycling thru the grain once the filter bed was established.

After it settled down and quit, I "sparged" (rinsed) it with about 1.5 - 2 gal of 190 deg water. took about 5 min to do that (not usual hour like when really sparging).

Will take gravity in the morning.

Reckon it'll be worth a dang? (in spite of the recipe!)

PS grain didn't taste terribly sweet, but was better tasting (sweeter I guess) than other batches I've done (this is only 4th or 5th all grain).

Catfish said:
If you want to make something quick and good do extract and steeping grains.

yea, we been doing that. got out of sync though (with open primaries, etc.); had planned on doing this AG the right way but have just... run... out...

next brew (hobgoblin clone) we will do extract w/ grain. or maybe PM since I have 2 lb of milled grain left over...

LHBS is soon to be open 5 days a week instead of 2. so that'll help as well.

Gravity came up to be 1.038. 6.5 gallon batch. (remember this is lawnmower beer).

Spreadsheet I been using suggested 1.041. so 0.003 is not gonna kill us. It is spot-on with every kit and online recipe we've done (and followed the instructions).

was glad it came out that high... was fearing 1.025 or something.

Promash will calculate efficiency, correct? and it's only like $25?

Sounds like you are doing fine. All that corn will make for good body and mouthfeel.

Back