Will Starsan remove pint glass silk screens the way it does Corona labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
Places like Target are getting a pretty good selection of beer glasses but they are almost universally littered with Guinness or Stella branding. Will a soak in Starsan remove the labels without pitting or damaging the glass itself?

Places like Crate and Barrel have blank pint glasses (and many other beer glasses) for very cheap prices.

I would imagine a star-san soak would work, but I haven't tried it.

i know some people have used it to remove the painted on labels on rogue or stone bottles so its worth a shot.

If it doesn't work, you might try hydrochloric acid. It is very cheap ($4/gal, hardware stores or pool supply stores) and will obliterate pretty much anything except metal, plastic and glass. Obviously, it is also dangerous and can give off toxic fumes, though. I have a pool, so I always have some around. It works great for random stuff like that, just be careful, do it outside and try to hold your breath when you're around a reaction. You can get it on your skin, but you have to wash it off within a minute or two or it will burn. Also it will probably blind you if it gets in your eyes.

I have seen it take the paint off a beer can in a matter of minute, that's why I thought I'd mention it. It is pretty dangerous, though, so I'd try the StarSan first.

Also, try Craigslist for pint glasses. I see stuff like that on there everyday for free or next to nothing.

Imperial pint glasses, Tulip pint glasses, Pilsner Glasses, Beer goblets, Ale Goblets, Imperial pint, Tulip pint: Family-owned and operated PubGlasses.com offers personalized pint beer glasses Austin TX

Great site. Tons of blank glasses (they can also personalize). Only place I could find that had blank tulip pint glasses. Good quality too. The only thing is shipping is a little steep, however with more glasses it doesn't increase much. One glass was like $9.xx for shipping, but 4 glasses was $10.xx for shipping.

+1 on Crate & Barrel. You can get a plain pint glass for $1-2 bucks

Yeah I have seen good glasses for cheap around, just every once in a while when I am in a store like Target and see a box of cheap glasses that are a good shape or size I usually pass just because of the Euro-BMC beer logo on them. So it would be nice to have a good way to get rid of it.

This all depends on how the logo was "painted" on there. There are paints similar to what you might go down to the store and buy, that you paint on, and they dry, and you are done. There are also "paints" that are actually suspended colored glass particles. The logo is "painted" on, and then it goes into a kiln to be fired, FUSING the logo to the bottle or glass, and you will not get those off, short of sand blasting.

Latest posts

Back