Tower Cooling Fan Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thdewitt

Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched this site pretty extensively and I can not locate any directions on how to make a fan to cool my tower. I keep getting a foamy first beer or two. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Tom

Look at the micromatic site. They sell a little squirrel cage blower and some 1" flexible hose. All you do is mount the blower down in the fridge, and run the hose up the tower. Be sure to leave some room for the tower air to drop back down. You need constant circulation past the beer line. You will also want to make sure that the tower is air tight.

Mylo

If I end up building a tower and needing a cold air fan I'll run it through a section of flexible tubing with on difference. I'll drill a hole in the side of the tubing right at the bottom of the tower. I'll then run my beer line through that hole. At the end of the vent tubing I'll just leave it cut off and the beer line can come out the end to the faucet. That way the beer line stays chilled and the air has an area to circulate through.

Parts needed

1 project box- radio shack about 8 dollars, get the large one
1 compuer fan- I got one from my wife(shes an it) had 3 wires rd/blk/yel
1 bag of RV septic tubing- got mine from a northern tool store got 30 feet for 15 bucks
1 cell phone charger- all chargers have volts and amps rating on the plug part.
more amps and volts = faster fan speed
4 misc screws- go from project box to fan to hold fan on box
1 hole saw kit- I got 2 inch hose so I used 1 7/8 hole saw and for fan 1 hole saw
1 order of patience.

My Fan face was 3 inches in diameter so I used the 1 inch hole saw and cut 4 holes in like a square and filed out the edger so I had like a 4 leaf clover then flied the edges. Then on the side of the box I drilled 1 7/8 hole for the rv hose to go in. It was 2 inches but had a sprial egde on the ouside so the hose screwed into the samaller hole. I then put the fan over the cloverleaf hole and marked the holes to drill to hold the fan. I had some torx screw s that tapped the hole and tapped the cpu fan and held good. then I placed the box at the bottom of my sanyo 4912 and measured to the top if my tower. cut rv hose to length and an extra 1/2 inch. screwed 1/2 inch into project box and before top of fridge I cut a slit and fed my beer line thru to the fittings in the shanks and taped up slit. I then took the charger and routed it thru the drainage port from the outside to the inside. then cut the ends of charger and fan to expose wires. I got lucky and spliced the charger wires with the blk and yel fan wires and it pushed air thru to the project out to the end of the rv hose. plug in fan 10 min before first drink and no foam till last pour.

Latest posts

Back