Relay wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlphaWolf-Brewery

Reaction score
My relay has coil connectors like in this image. What would be the best way to attach the wiring? I usually use spade or ring connectors, not sure how I would do this one.

49670.jpg

16-14 AWG female disconnectors (1/4") fit the contacts of my contactor pretty good.

Insulated-Female-Disconnectors.jpg

LandoLincoln said:
16-14 AWG female disconnectors (1/4") fit the contacts of my contactor pretty good.

+1 to those crimp-on terminals. But correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I see screw terminals on that contractor? Why couldn't you use the spade terminals?

+1 to those crimp-on terminals. But correct me if I'm wrong, but don't I see screw terminals on that contractor? Why couldn't you use the spade terminals?
Hmmm....
He showed spade terminal in his reply:

Those are the connectors needed. Look closely at contactor image.
Screw terminals? I don't see that...

For the coil, you need to use the above mentioned quick connects / spades / whatever you want to call them.
For the line / load, you can use those, but there are also screw terminals. I opted to use the screw terminals and tossed out the spade connectors for the line / load side - I didn't like the idea of little energized 'fingers' sticking out of my contactor, plus a screw down terminal is more secure than a slip-on fitting.

Hmmm....
He showed spade terminal in his reply:

Those are the connectors needed. Look closely at contactor image.
Screw terminals? I don't see that...

I completely agree. I happened to notice some screw terminals hidden on the top of the contactor in the picture the OP provided. I see the quick disconnect spades on the ends, but I also thought I saw some screws hidden on the top. I may be wrong...

For the coil, you need to use the above mentioned quick connects / spades / whatever you want to call them.
For the line / load, you can use those, but there are also screw terminals. I opted to use the screw terminals and tossed out the spade connectors for the line / load side - I didn't like the idea of little energized 'fingers' sticking out of my contactor, plus a screw down terminal is more secure than a slip-on fitting.

I see now. (This must be an Auber Instruments Contactor?) The line terminals are either screw or quick disconnect, but the coil is strictly quick disconnect. Am I understanding this correctly?

I was planning on using the screw terminals for the main line but didnt know what to use for the coil. I will have to look for the disconnects, any idea why the coil has what looks like 2 places to attach a disconnect on each side?

AlphaWolf-Brewery said:
I was planning on using the screw terminals for the main line but didnt know what to use for the coil. I will have to look for the disconnects, any idea why the coil has what looks like 2 places to attach a disconnect on each side?

So you can piggyback your wiring. I used a second connector on the hot side of mine to jump to other components without having to run additional lines from a terminal block.

Back