Grain Bags / Muslin Bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck finding grain bags locally (or something that'd work), other than their LHBS? I was all set to brew up a batch yesterday when I realized the kit I had didn't come with one to steep the grains. Ended up delaying the batch, and now I need to either drive the 45 minutes to my store, or wait for shipping.......:mad:

I had poked around Bed Bath and Beyond as well as Linens and Things and found nothing in their kitchen stuff. I just buy a lot of them when I go to LHBS so I don't run into the problem you have.

Have you thought about either a piece of cheesecloth secured around the grains.

It my be kinda nasty but what about doubling up a pair of womens stockings and putting the grain in there. I used to do this with dry ice when making jungle juice punch. Just make sure to wash them pretty well first.

If you have a Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Menard's or any other hardware store, get yourself a paint strainer bag. It should be nylon and a fine mesh.

I third the paint strainer bags or second the filter media bags from a pet store. If you run them through the dishwasher on the top shelf they will clean up pretty well.

Just get yourself a nice large strainer from a restaurant supply store. Do your steeps/mini-mashes in a smaller stockpot and run some hotter water (sparge) through the strainer into your brewpot. Works good for straining hops/trub into the fermenter as well. I haven't bought a muslin bag in 8 months and have held three lbs. of grain in the strainer with room for probably another with some care. Best thing is it sits atop a bucket or a 30 qt. pot all by itself. After having the same problem as the OP and trying doubled up cheesecloth I wanted something more permanent.

If you have a Lowe's, Home Depot, Sherwin Williams, Menard's or any other hardware store, get yourself a paint strainer bag. It should be nylon and a fine mesh.

+1 on the paint straining bags. Much better than grain bags at LBHS IMHO.

If you are extract brewing and just steeping grain use a colander or wire mesh kitchen strainer.

As a follow-up, 5 gal paint strainer bags worked perfectly. 2x for $5.00 at Lowes and the one I used washed up great when turned inside out. Looks like brand new and ready for my next batch.

Most kitchen stores (e.g., Sur La Table) have long muslin you can buy. I think it's meant to be used for soups or maybe stuffing in turkeys. They are about 1' wide and 4' long or something along those lines. I've used them in a pinch, just fold it over to increase the strength and cut to size. They're big enough to use in your pot for steeping or mini-mash.

Just get yourself a nice large strainer from a restaurant supply store. Do your steeps/mini-mashes in a smaller stockpot and run some hotter water (sparge) through the strainer into your brewpot. Works good for straining hops/trub into the fermenter as well.
I know I am new, but I just watched the Midwest video and they said putting anything hot through a strainer will oxidize it. Take that with a grain of salt because I am so new at this, I might have misunderstood what they were saying.

I know I am new, but I just watched the Midwest video and they said putting anything hot through a strainer will oxidize it. Take that with a grain of salt because I am so new at this, I might have misunderstood what they were saying.

I think you're calling out the risk for hot-side aeration. Some people say it's a myth at homebrewing scale... Regardless strainers definitely aerate like crazy...in fact, I find its the easiest way to aerate my COOLED wort when I'm pouring it into my fermenter.

So for the cost of a grain bag or muslin, why take the risk?

As a follow-up, 5 gal paint strainer bags worked perfectly. 2x for $5.00 at Lowes and the one I used washed up great when turned inside out. Looks like brand new and ready for my next batch.

My brew buddies and I are considering this... how do you seal up the paint strainer bag to keep the grain in? How is the best way to lift it out without tearing the bag?

My brew buddies and I are considering this... how do you seal up the paint strainer bag to keep the grain in? How is the best way to lift it out without tearing the bag?

I used a paint strainer for the first time this weekend...I just tied a knot above the grains and secured part of the elastic top to one of the handles on my brewpot. Worked like a champ. :rockin:

Back