Keg Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bjammin

Reaction score
I work at a restaurant that serves beer on tap. They have an old keg that was never picked up by their old distributer. It is not the soda keg style, it is like a keg you would get from a redemption center full of beer, then have to return. My boss is willing to give it to me if it is possible to use it for brewing. There is just one tap on the top, in the middle where I assume the brewer filled the keg, and the beer would have come out. If anyone knows anything about this, or has any advice on how to do something like this, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Bjammin

That is caled a half barrel, and is probably of the Sanke style. They are difficult to use for kegging, but MANY of us cut the top for our boil kettle. Simply cut about a 12" circle out of the top using whatever means you have access to (I used a plasma cutter, but many use an angle grinder, dremel tool, or even a sawzall), clean the edge up, and you have a 15.5 gal stainless pot.

That is a reall score to get one for free! look through some of the equipment photos in the gallery and you will see lots of these converted "Keggles."

Back