Heads up hop heads - Mosaic (HBC 369) at freshops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nelson with the Mosaic makes me stomach want to turn.. Thats gonna be a sweet tasting beer!

Not going for overly sweet...going for a tropical fruit bomb with some of that unique Nelson character thrown in the mix. I've paired Nelson with Citra and it was awesome...so why not throw some Mosaic in there too? I don't find Nelson to be very sweet, anyway...Citra is much sweeter to me than Nelson, and I love it. Mosaic is the wild card in this recipe as far as I'm concerned...everything else I already know I like together.

I've been using 1oz Nelson 1oz Mosaic at flame out for my Rye pale ale I've been working on. (10 gallon batch 10-25% Rye, two batches done). Its been a good combination as far as I'm concerned. Spicy and fruity. Im considering upping the Mosaic and using it in the dry hop to for my next test batches.

I did a hop-bursted mosaic red rye a few weeks ago that turned out great. 15% rye, added only .5 oz mosaic at 90 min to aid boil reactions then did a total of 5 oz split between 20, 10, 5, and 0 minute additions to achieve ~70ibu. Dry hopped with 2 oz mosaic. I love this hop with rye. The fruitiness of the hop matched with the spicy dryness of the rye and caramel sweetness of the crystal malts just explodes on the pallet. Probly one of my best batches to date. The grain bill is based on founder's red's rye clone if anyone is interested.

My grain bill is a little crazy because I ended up using all of my left over crystal malts from previous batches instead of buying more. Just add up all the crystal and shoot for the same percentage instead of copying it exactly, unless you really want to. Also mine ended up darker than expected, like a dark copper borderline brown, so you may want to use less chocolate malt to get a more 'red' color. Mine is a little sweeter than the red's rye (higher mash temp), and the chloride to sulfate ratio is more balanced because I wanted to really taste all those different malts. Here ya go:

60 min mash at 155F (single infusion/batch sparge)
90 min boil
1.071 OG -- 1.015 FG
WLP090 White Labs SD Super Yeast (love this stuff!)

Grains:
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
2 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1 lbs White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
8 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)
4 oz Bairds Carastan (40.0 SRM)
4 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
4 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
4 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
4 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
3 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)

Hops:
.25 oz Mosaic 90 min
1.5 oz Mosaic 20 min
1.5 oz Mosaic 10 min
1.0 oz Mosaic 5 min
1.0 oz Mosaic Hop Steep (cooled wort to 180F 1st then steeped for 10 min)
2.0 oz Mosaic Dry hopped 1 week, 1st 4 days @ 70F Last 3 days at 33F

Water:
110 ppm Calcium
8 ppm Magnesium
28 ppm Sodium
102 ppm Cloride
109 ppm Sulfate
Residual Alkalinity ~ 18ppm as CaCO3

:rockin:

Made a Peach ale with Munich base malt, dry hopped on 2 oz of Mosaic. It is infreakin credible :D

Just kegged a batch of this :
5 lbs CMC White Wheat (2.0 SRM)
5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Canada (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
6.0 oz Wheat Toasted #2 (15.0 SRM)

0.35 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - First Wort 90.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Mosaic [12.30 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.00 oz Juniper Berries (Boil 5.0 mins)

1.0 pkg Belgian Wheat Yeast (Wyeast Labs #3942) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -

After a week I cranked the heat up to 80 and left it for 2 weeks. Hydro Sample was damn tasty. I really like the Amarillo / Mosaic Combo

Just kegged a batch of this :

After a week I cranked the heat up to 80 and left it for 2 weeks. Hydro Sample was damn tasty. I really like the Amarillo / Mosaic Combo

Have to agree. I did a FFF gum ballhead clone a similar grainbill as yours with mosaic and results were very popular.

I bottled my honey-basil double pale on the 18th. I'm out of town for work and won't be home until the 30th, but I can't wait to try it.

Ended up with
6lbs Pilsen lme
4lbs 2-row
1lbs honey malt
.5lbs 10L
1lbs flaked oats
1oz Summit @ 60
1oz Simcoe @ 10
3oz Organic Basil @ 10
12oz South Dakota Honey @ 10
1oz Mosaic @ 5

Didn't get the best efficiency, but it was my first pm recipe.
Og was 1.072, Brewpal said it should have been 1.080.
Got it down to 1.014, so it'll still be at 7.6%

Used wlp001

Tasted a small sample at bottling, and it's awesome! Probably could have just gone with 2oz basil, but I'm willing to bet this going to be a really refreshing summer beer. I brewed this for my buddies wedding in western Massachusetts in June, by then it should be perfect. I'm pretty excited!

Picked up 2oz of Mosaic at the LBHS for use as a dry hop in a DIPA. It was nice, but I wasn't blown away. Used 2 oz as a first charge dry hop in 2.5 gallons. I guess I kind of get the berry aroma (only slightly), but really if I was blindfolded it would be hard to distinguish it from Simcoe. It smells very Simcoe-ish to me, for what its worth (and i do realize its the Simcoe daughter strain).
I am kind of "over" Simcoe, so I will probably will go with something else next time.

OK so I have seen a couple mentions of grapefruit and a lot saying it is very fruity. 2 questions:

Is it a mild hint of grapefruit similar to a Bell's Two Hearted where it is present but kind of subdued or an underlying tone or does it leave you thinking there may actually have been grapefruits in the keg?

Second ? for those mentioning the fruit bomb. Is this complete fruity pebbles like a Blue Moon or a little more reasonable.

Your input would be appreciated! Sounds like it could be awesome in a wheat beer using German yeast to also pick up some banana and clove especially with summer just finally arriving. Just trying to decide when and how much to use.

Thanks!

OK so I have seen a couple mentions of grapefruit and a lot saying it is very fruity. 2 questions:

Is it a mild hint of grapefruit similar to a Bell's Two Hearted where it is present but kind of subdued or an underlying tone or does it leave you thinking there may actually have been grapefruits in the keg?

Second ? for those mentioning the fruit bomb. Is this complete fruity pebbles like a Blue Moon or a little more reasonable.

Your input would be appreciated! Sounds like it could be awesome in a wheat beer using German yeast to also pick up some banana and clove especially with summer just finally arriving. Just trying to decide when and how much to use.

Thanks!

Mosaic in a german hefe doesn't sound good, to me atleast. I've used it a decent bit, and I don't think it's a hop that you would fit well.

If you'd use it where you would, Simcoe, Citra or Amarillo.. then roll with it.

It's grapefruity like Simcoe.. Two hearted is nothing but Centennial.

Mosaic in a german hefe doesn't sound good, to me atleast.

+1 Yeast phenolics + American hop aromas = burnt tire rubber. It's the reason I hate when breweries try to make "Belgian IPAs" ala Cali-Belgique from Stone

So we have a brewery here, Societe brewing,one new breweries here in San Diego making some awesome beer, and they have a series of beers called the Bachelor IPA. They keep the grain bill the same, and the hopping schedule the same but change the hop varietal for each batch, adjusting the hop quantity to have similar IBU's. Their latest was a Mosaic batch. It is only about 3 days old in the kegs as of yesterday, so its really fresh. with their beer I got a lot of peach flavor followed but a lingering Garlic/onion flavor, the aroma was very tropical and some what Citrusy. All and all it was a very impressive beer. If you are in SD this summer (more like the next few weeks I think it will be going fast) check it out.

Honey Mosaic Pale Wheat Ale

Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 5.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 41.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.6 %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 18.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.1 %
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - First Wort 75.0 min Hop 4 27.7 IBUs
12.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 5 9.1 %
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 8.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 4.8 IBUs
1.50 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
1.00 oz Mosaic [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 12.00 qt of water at 165.6 F 156.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.09gal, 3.19gal) of 168.0 F water

Hop stand for 20 minutes. Add honey @ KO.

Brewed 3 gallons of simple summer session ale with a light touch on the mosaic. Something like...

82% Pale
6% Aromatic
6% Caramel 20
6% Flaked Barley

20 IBU Warrior at 60
.5 oz Mosaic hop stand at 140
.5 oz Mosaic dry hop 3 days

Small additions I know. I just wanted to get a feel for the hop. Interesting mango, melon, and apricot aromas for the first week. After that things got slightly earthy for a few days. Finally, at the two week mark, it turned into more of a general citrusy American hop flavor. It works well on its own, and I'll probably do another batch with increased dry hop levels before blending, but I'd venture to say Mosaic probably works best with a partner. I'd pair it with a more general work horse like cascade or centennial, so that Mosaic adds the majority of the tropical character.

Brewed an American IPA with Mosaic, and it's the best IPA I've had.

Here's my recipe:

12.75lbs 2-Row
.75lbs Munich 10L
.25lbs Crystal 40L
.50lbs Crystal 20L
.50lbs Crystal 10L
Mash at 149 F for 60min, Sparge at 170 F

1oz Magnum at 60min
1oz Centennial at 10min
1oz Simcoe at 5min
1oz Mosaic at 0min

Wyeast American Ale II (1272)

just brewed a mosaic/amarillo pale ale. 2 oz each, staggered hopstand. Definitely getting the garlic/onion and earth.

just brewed a mosaic/amarillo pale ale. 2 oz each, staggered hopstand. Definitely getting the garlic/onion and earth.

Based on my experiences, I'd say the earthy aroma is the amarillo. My single hop mosaic was a pretty clean fruity profile. All my amarillo beers have had a grassy, earthy aroma, as have the commercial amarillo beers I've tasted recently.

Based on my very limited experience with Mosaic...I thought I would like it more than I do. I really liked Great Lakes Alchemy Hour which is why I thought I would love it, but didn't care for Terrapin's Mosaic or my DIPA I used it heavily in. It has a strange strawberry-like flavor that just doesn't agree with me.

My Mosaic IPA used Mosaic and Chinook (2-to-1 ratio) at 20, 5, and dryhop. 1 oz Mosaic at 20 and 5, and then 2 oz Mosaic in the dry hop (half those amounts of Chinook at same times). It was fruity as hell! 6.8% ABV, 1.011 FG. 1 lb of C10 and carapils, .5 lb of C40, 12.5 lb of 2-row.
This was my first kegged homebrew, and it was like sticking my nose in a bag of hops. I liked the end result, but would probably back off the Mosaic a bit with a rebrew. Pear, pineapple, stonefruit... the pine from the Chinook was there, but definitely dominated by the mosaic.

Based on my experiences, I'd say the earthy aroma is the amarillo. My single hop mosaic was a pretty clean fruity profile. All my amarillo beers have had a grassy, earthy aroma, as have the commercial amarillo beers I've tasted recently.

It's definitely more in the flavor. I agree, the aroma is very fruity

I know this is an old thread but I didn't know where else to put it.
Just wanted to say I like to have Whisky with a beer sometimes and by accident I have found a great combo.
I brewed a Session IPA with Falconer's Flight in the kettle and Mosaic in the dry hop and it tastes fantastic with a 15 year old Dalwhinnie. But I think the style would go great with any Whiskey/Whisky with honey notes. Give it a try.

Back