New chiller design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIEHOLEBREWINGCO

Reaction score
60' of 3/8 copper inside and 60' on the out side cant wait to brew and see how fast i chill down a 10 gallon batch

chiller.jpg

chiller1.jpg

I had the same thought... I think with the tees in the configuration that they are, the pressure is most likely to go straight through and only whatever back pressure there is will go off the side. Is you turn the tees so that the inputs are on the sides, I think you'll get more even flow. It just isn't the most space consuming.

2 things....
#1: "... and see how fast i chill down a 10 gallon batch".... I'm thinking the instant you put all that copper in your boil... it will cool down enough to loose boil! :p

#2: I wonder if you could find a 3-way valve instead of the Tee's. Then you can adjust the proportion going to each branch.

If you add a valve to one of the outlet lines you will be able to build some back pressure to ensure equal flow through both lines.

If you add a valve to one of the outlet lines you will be able to build some back pressure to ensure equal flow through both lines.

I was going to say that or somehow reduce the diameter on the output side to build up pressure and force the water to take both paths.

output is 1/2 tee flow was even temperature was within 2 degrees of each other wort was chilled in 20 minutes to 68 but the keg still was over 100 at the bottom on the outside of the pot

Back