Brew Pot Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fauxtoe

Reaction score
I'm going to be buying some new brew pots and was wondering what size I should get? I plan on doing partial mashes and full grain eventually - 5 gallon brews at most.

What size pots should I purchase with the idea of still being able to use them when I go full grain?

I went with 15 gallon. I plan to do mostly 5 gallon batches, but I want to do a few 10 gallon batches of my favorite beer before the winter.

I have 10 gallon and it works well. But, I did manage a boil over on my last brew.

If you do any recipes that require 90 minute boils you might be starting with about 8 gallons. The closer you fill to the top the more likely to get boil overs. I was using a 30qt turkey fryer pot and had to be REALLY careful at the start of the boil to not get spillage all over the place. It was roiling wort, not foam!

I had an 8.5 gal from a turkey fryer setup. I seemed to boil over almost every brew. Go at least 10, and if you can, 15. I purchased a 15 a few weeks ago, have done 2 in it already and it is so much better. I could probably do a couple 10 gallon batches if I wanted to as well now.

My 8.5 aluminum has been fine. Only one boil over. I just sit by it with a pitcher of cool water during the first 10 minutes, then hot break and smooth sailing.

The next one I buy will be 10 gal SS thought.

You should get a brew pot roughly 2x the volume of your target batch. So if you'll only every do 5 gal batches get at least a 10g pot. If you'll occasionally do 10g batches or high gravity 5g batches a 15g pot will be a better choice.

I went through the same decision when ordering my pot. Though I'll mostly do 5g batches, I wanted the freedom to do high gravity beers or expand to 10g batches without needing new kit so I ordered a 15g pot. Only real disadvantage is on the Blichmann 15g the thermometer probe needs at least 6g of liquid to register.

Back