GF malted Lemonade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
I asked in the cider forum since they do more Hard Lemonade and stuff but got no real answers.

Looking at trying to make a "Malted" Hard lemonade that is Gluten free.

What do you think of using Sorghum? (GF version of Barley)

I was thinking maybe Rice syrup solids possibly as a sub for Sorghum?

Thoughts?

--- Edit ---
Already have a good GF Hard lemonade that we are almost done with and wife wants more but would like to try a malted one like Mike's

Just looking for what to add to the recipe, thanks

Since want to make malted I thought Sorghum would be the easiest to try, do maybe a 2 gallon batch and test.

1# Sorghum
4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate (strained)
8oz Corn sugar
4oz GF Maltodextrin
8oz Lactose
2tsp Yeast nutrients
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Boil the Sorghum for 10 min, remove from heat add C-sugar-Maltodextrin-Lactose then bring back to boil and kill heat then cool and mix with lemonade and water

Stir-stir-stir add yeast and nutrients wait 10min then stir-stir-stir wait 30days before bottling

Thoughts?

Not sure exactly what you are looking for...but I dont see anything out of line in your recipe. The name of this beverage is "graff" btw. Brandon O has a great recipe on these forums that everyone loves, maybe you could use that as a base and sub for GF ingredients.

Either sorghum or rice would work fine. You would hardly be able to taste the difference.

Well got the GF version done in the 6qt Mr. Beer Pilot Keg. I changed up some stuff alittle.

Ingredients:
8oz Sorghum Malt Extract (Boil 5.0 min)
8oz GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min)
8oz Corn Sugar (Boil 5.0 min)
9 oz Lactose (Boil 5.0 min)
5 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate (strained)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil 1 quart of filtered water with the Sorghum, maltodextrine, Lactose and sugar to dissolve.
- Place pot in Ice water bath to chill
- Add frozen concentrate to sanitized fermenter.
- Add purified water to 4qt mark
- Add malted Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of '6' (Mr. Beer Pilot Keg)
- Add Yeast Nutrients
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 10 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and place sanitized fementor lock on top and fill just below line on lock

Now the month wait

OG = 1.132 @ 68*F

The hydro reading was a lot higher than I was originally was thinking would be I should of removed the corn sugar or the 5th can of lemonade concentrate since each can is around 7.6oz of sugar per can (they list 27g per serving and there are 8 servings)

--- edit ---

Taste of Hydro sample was outstanding but really sweet, the sorghum flavor will hopefully stay there.

Back