Kölsch Tiber's Perfect Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tiber, I'm considering giving this one a go after having success with your German Pils Recipe, but my question is this.....Is a kolsch more of a way to get a pilsner like beer without the added effort? Does the style stand on it's own, or is it just sort of a quicker turnaround pils? Sorry for my ignorance, I just haven't really had many Kolsch beers.

No need to apologize! As has been mentioned, Kölsch stands on its own. It has a few variances from Pils beers, including malt flavor, hop aroma, bitterness, and most notably the yeast character. Pilsner lovers tend to like this Kölsch, but they differ in appreciable ways. I'm a fan of Reissdorf Kölsch, which is periodically available at my local co-op.

I just brewed this one up last night. I used belgian pils, as I buy it in bulk and had it on hand. I'm hoping it won't differ much from what is intended for the recipe. I also ramped from 131 to 149 in 15 min instead of 25, as I was afraid of degrading proteins in a fully modified (belgian) malt. Not sure if I really needed to or not.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I did a double batch, thinking it will go really fast this summer...

Thanks for all your help, Tiber, on the last few lagers/hybrids I've brewed!

I just brewed this one up last night. I used belgian pils, as I buy it in bulk and had it on hand. I'm hoping it won't differ much from what is intended for the recipe. I also ramped from 131 to 149 in 15 min instead of 25, as I was afraid of degrading proteins in a fully modified (belgian) malt. Not sure if I really needed to or not.

Anyway, really looking forward to this. I did a double batch, thinking it will go really fast this summer...

Thanks for all your help, Tiber, on the last few lagers/hybrids I've brewed!

You are right about mashing in protein enzyme temps with fully modified malt. I originally wrote this recipe while I was using under-modified malt, and would actually advise a ramp/step mash beginning at 140 with fully modified malt. Unfortunately, I can no longer edit my original post. EDIT: A moderator friend helped me out with this; now the mash info in the original post should be clearer.

Glad to be of help. Hope your brew turns out well.

Thanks Tiber.

Is there a reason you use floor malted pils in your kolsh, and just standard German pils malt in your German pils? Does it bring something special to the Kolsch?

At the time I wrote this recipe on HBT, I was buying floor malted Pils. Lately I've been going through a different supplier and using fully modified German Pils malt. I gotta say I miss the floor malt, but the fully modified stuff is great, too.

Thanks Tiber for the pointers.

Very happy with how this turned out. A real crowd pleaser at our 4th of July celebrations.

Lip-smackingly delicious. Great for a Texas Summer. Head.jpg

Followed your advice on the mashing. This was the schedule I used.

Mash Profile
Screen Shot 2015-07-15 at 10.01.45 PM.png

Last edited:
Tiber,

What mash pH range would you suggest for a single infusion mash?

I've had some success in the mid 5.2 range, but was recently looking at Eric Warner's Kolsch book and he suggests a mash pH of 5.5.

Gonna boil a batch off Friday I usually boil Edwort's Kolsh recipe & can't keep enough of it in kegs--gonna be my first boil using a 1/2 barrel so should be a good day---my LBS only had one pack 2565 but had a German Ale yeast I'll use in one fermenter should be alright--Thanks for the recipe I'll post back with a pic in a few weeks---

Looks great, Gavin. Glad it worked out for ya!

Not sure if you are in anyway interested but I just wanted to share my recent judges' feedback on this beer with you Tiber.

Scored a 38 and 37 in the recent limbo challenge.

It was dinged for a somewhat lack of crispness. No off flavors noted. Overall the beer was given favorable reviews. I think next time I brew this I will lower the fermentation temps into the high 50's rather than 60-62F I believe I fermented it at. Tweaking my water is also something I plan for the next time.

Just to be clear, these are entirely my shortcomings on my setup. I think the recipe is solid solid solid. Highly recommend it. Great tasting beer.

Thanks again for the recipe and helpful pointers.

Not sure if you are in anyway interested but I just wanted to share my recent judges' feedback on this beer with you Tiber.

It was dinged for a somewhat lack of crispness. No off flavors noted. Overall the beer was given favorable reviews. I think next time I brew this I will lower the fermentation temps into the high 50's rather than 60-62F I believe I fermented it at. Tweaking my water is also something I plan for the next time.

Just to be clear, these are entirely my shortcomings on my setup. I think the recipe is solid solid solid. Highly recommend it. Great tasting beer.

Thanks for sharing your results. Those are great scores; you should be proud of that.

It's odd that crispness was lacking. With a solid step mash you should have some vibrant mouthfeel with a crisp finish. You could always extend your beta rest a bit and shorten your alpha rest. Or extend the lagering phase to brighten it up a bit?

Some people like that yeast in the mid-high 50's, so by all means give that a try. I personally like the marginally higher ester character from a low 60's ferment, but probably just because it reminds me more of commercial examples. It's all a matter of preference.

Cheers!

Thanks for sharing your results. Those are great scores; you should be proud of that.

It's odd that crispness was lacking. With a solid step mash you should have some vibrant mouthfeel with a crisp finish. You could always extend your beta rest a bit and shorten your alpha rest. Or extend the lagering phase to brighten it up a bit?

Some people like that yeast in the mid-high 50's, so by all means give that a try. I personally like the marginally higher ester character from a low 60's ferment, but probably just because it reminds me more of commercial examples. It's all a matter of preference.

Cheers!

I need to pick up some commercial examples to compare.

I did ramp fermentation temps toward the end. Perhaps that was done too early. Who knows. Anyway, thanks for the encouraging words.

Finally got a batch of this boiled off been struggling to keep ferment temps down but have it around 63* oh well would have liked it no higher than 60 but doing the best I can with what I've got---gravity was good so it will be drink alright

Going to brew this tomorrow but wil be using pale wheat malt instead of white wheat.

Also dont have any Saaz... idk if i should just use Hallertau in its place or use something else. i have EKG, Fuggle and Perle in my freezer.

Going to brew this tomorrow but wil be using pale wheat malt instead of white wheat.

Also dont have any Saaz... idk if i should just use Hallertau in its place or use something else. i have EKG, Fuggle and Perle in my freezer.

If you don't have Saaz, I'd stick with just Hallertau given the other choices you have.

If you don't have Saaz, I'd stick with just Hallertau given the other choices you have.

Yeah thats what i was thinkin. the others arent really close to saaz. thanks for the reply.

got my strike water heating up atm. im "working" from home today :)

I've never done a Kolsch before, nor have I used wlp029 before either. I placed my fermentor in a swamp cooler and the temp kept right at 64f for 3 days during peak fermentation. It's mellowed a bit but temps are now closer to 61. Wondering if I should go ahead and pull it out of the water bath for now. Typically, after peak fermentation, my fermentor stays about 64. Ambient is right around 65 this time of year. So if I pull it out of the water bath, it should hit about 64 and stay till I put it in my fridge for "lagering". Or is the low 60 range in the water bath still acceptable?

I've never done a Kolsch before, nor have I used wlp029 before either. I placed my fermentor in a swamp cooler and the temp kept right at 64f for 3 days during peak fermentation. It's mellowed a bit but temps are now closer to 61. Wondering if I should go ahead and pull it out of the water bath for now. Typically, after peak fermentation, my fermentor stays about 64. Ambient is right around 65 this time of year. So if I pull it out of the water bath, it should hit about 64 and stay till I put it in my fridge for "lagering". Or is the low 60 range in the water bath still acceptable?

I wouldn't worry about lagering temps as much as keeping that temp down during peak kräusen. 64F is a little on the high side for that yeast, although I'm sure the beer will be fine. I like to ferment my Kölsch at most around 62F, which I consider to be on the high side. I know someone who likes to ferment theirs at 58F. It all comes down to your preference and of course the capability of your equipment.

I wouldn't worry about lagering temps as much as keeping that temp down during peak kräusen. 64F is a little on the high side for that yeast, although I'm sure the beer will be fine. I like to ferment my Kölsch at most around 62F, which I consider to be on the high side. I know someone who likes to ferment theirs at 58F. It all comes down to your preference and of course the capability of your equipment.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully 64 at peak wasn't to high. After it settled a bit, my temps are down...guess we'll see. Now that I know about where the swamp cooler method will get me, I can take measures to get it lower.
I honestly don't think I've ever had a "good example" of a kolsch, so I'm pretty eager to try this even though I don't have much to compare it to. Prost here in Colorado does some pretty respectable brews and they have a kolsch. I may just have to pick some up.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. Hopefully 64 at peak wasn't to high. After it settled a bit, my temps are down...guess we'll see. Now that I know about where the swamp cooler method will get me, I can take measures to get it lower.
I honestly don't think I've ever had a "good example" of a kolsch, so I'm pretty eager to try this even though I don't have much to compare it to. Prost here in Colorado does some pretty respectable brews and they have a kolsch. I may just have to pick some up.
Thanks again.
I've been to Prost, and their beers are good. Their Kölsch is no exception. It's about as close to a German-brewed Kölsch that you'll get here in the States.

I've been to Prost, and their beers are good. Their Kölsch is no exception. It's about as close to a German-brewed Kölsch that you'll get here in the States.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've always enjoyed Prost brews when I've gotten them. I just never paid attention to the Kolsch. They've actually got a location here in Ft Collins also.

Now, I've never brewed anything this _light_ before. Never anything with pilsner malt making up the malt bill either. I do dark beers and hoppy beers typically. This one, well I think I detect things I never have before. I don't think I knew what DMS tasted like...till now. My first sip suggested corn. I do pick up a light sweetness and a slight fruity ester. None of them are necessarily offensive to me and not at levels that I don't really enjoy consuming, but I can detect. For the most part, it has (as best I can describe) a nice malty, fresh grain flavor that's very crushable. And my wife really likes it which is always a plus.

I was also pretty bummed. I _lagered_ this for 3 wks exactly. I wanted longer, but it was right at Thanksgiving and I ended up needing to cough up some fridge space for food and holiday nibblings. The beer had cleared up nicely, but when transferring to my bottling bucket, my carboy slipped on the block I had it tilted on and mucked things up unfortunately. Kinda bummed me out, but it is what it is. I do have some chill haze, and I put the entire lot of bottles in cold storage after confirming my bottles had enough time to carb.
I know time will clear the haze, but has all conditioning basically already taken place or will the brew continue to improve for a time while stored in the fridge?

This ended up being one of the best brews I've done. I cold conditioned the entire batch (bottled) at 35f and it is crystal clear and tastes great. Everyone I've shared with has really enjoyed it. It's nice and light, crisp, and refreshing, with plenty of flavor, and great mouth feel. I've put it up against several commercial examples, and I would choose this one over just about every other one I've tried. It just tastes fresher, with more body.
This will probably be a house mainstay. Thanks for a great recipe!

Hey there, thinking of brewing up a 5.5 gallon batch of this soon. I've done 2 kölsches in the past with varied success. First one was a partial mash with Wyeast. I fermented very low (~50) and the thing was a BEAST. Like, even with a blowoff tube it was a monstrous mess. That one turned out pretty well. Second one I attempted was an AG version of the same beer, and it turned out...not so great. I opted for White Labs that time, but still fermented in the low 50s. I didn't keep great notes, which was my fault, but I know it surpassed its FG and ended up really thin in body, and despite a 90-minute, uncovered boil and 3 weeks of lagering it had unpleasant levels of DMS.

Anyway, I'm hoping to brew a version of this that will turn out better. I use Brewtoad (because it's free) and this is what my recipe looks like:

Batch size 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75%
Est. OG 1.049
Est. FG 1.012
Est. ABV 4.8%
IBU 25
SRM 2

8.5# Pilsner
0.5# White Wheat
0.5# Munich Light

0.75 oz. Halltertau 4.5% 60 min
0.25 oz. Saaz 3.8% 60 min
0.75 oz. Hallertau 4.5% 30 min
0.25 oz. Saaz 3.8% 30 min

Wyeast 2565/WLP029

The AA for the hops is the default, so I'd have to adjust when I bought them. Youre recipe says 60 minutes, but then also says first addition hops go in at 60 minutes, so I assume that's a typo if it's a 90-minute boil. Should be at the 30 minute mark.

My efficiency can kinda be all over the place, so I just went with the default 75%. I'm strictly BIAB, and I tend to get a little higher, but unfortunately I wasn't great with my note taking early on in my homebrewing adventures.

Also, I've always done very basic mashing. I've never attempted any kind of rests or temperature changes. I use Deathbrewer's method of mash for about an hour in the low 150s, drain the bag, and then start the boil. I'm sure this probably affects the final product, but I'm also not sure how you would get really technical with this simplistic method. I'm all ears, though.

...fermented in the low 50s.

I'm not going to say that you can't ferment a Kölsch yeast around 50F, or that it won't work, but I do not recommend it. In my opinion, you might as well use a German lager yeast if you're going with that temperature. Part of what I love about a Kölsch is it's subtle yet pleasant yeast character. I like the results most when fermented around 60-62F.

Wyeast 2565/WLP029
Recipe looks about right, accounting for lower efficiency, but are you planning on using both 2565 and 029? To be clear, in my original recipe, I list both because I did a split batch and fermented half with WY and half with WLP to give comments on both. I did not mean to suggest blending the two strains.

Youre recipe says 60 minutes, but then also says first addition hops go in at 60 minutes, so I assume that's a typo if it's a 90-minute boil. Should be at the 30 minute mark.

I think you're confused. Hop additions are noted by the amount of time that they are boiled, not how long into the boil they are added. In a 90 minute boil the "60 min hops" go in 30 minutes after the boil starts, but are called a "60 minute addition." My recipe is indeed a 90 minute boil, with the first hop addition at the 60 minute mark, meaning that after boiling w/out hops for 30 minutes, add your 60 minute hop addition.

My efficiency can kinda be all over the place, so I just went with the default 75%. I'm strictly BIAB, and I tend to get a little higher, but unfortunately I wasn't great with my note taking early on in my homebrewing adventures.
That's fine! Take note of your pre and post boil volumes, grain weight, potential points per gallon (PPG), and note the gravity you get over several iterations. After a while, you'll begin to notice a rough efficiency related to grain weight. I.e. for higher gravity beers, I tend to get 90-92%, and for mid-lower gravity beers I tend to get 95-97%. Your mileage may vary.

Also, I've always done very basic mashing. I've never attempted any kind of rests or temperature changes. I use Deathbrewer's method of mash for about an hour in the low 150s, drain the bag, and then start the boil. I'm sure this probably affects the final product, but I'm also not sure how you would get really technical with this simplistic method. I'm all ears, though.
A single infusion mash will certainly work, no doubt about that. I like the flavor and mouthfeel profile I get with a step mash, but some people can't even tell the difference. Personally, I like the malty sweetness accompanied by a nice dry finish, that I can only maximize with using a step mash. Again, don't fret about it as many won't know the difference. I know a BIAB brewer who has gotten the step mashing down pretty well. Perhaps @Gavin_C could weigh in with his method?

Cheers,
TB

I don't plan on using both yeasts. I just meant I'm going to use one or the other. Depends on what my LHBS has.

We're saying the same thing about the hop additions; I just misunderstood the verbiage.

I'd love to hear more about the BIAB brewer who does step mashing and his methods.

So I just racked this to my keg. And then was pretty shocked when I went to clean out my conical. The small small sample I had tasted fine. But the leftover sediment looked strange. Any ideas if this looks like an infection? I guess it’s in the keg and there’s no point in worrying.

Attachments

• 2346143F-DA71-4E00-B5B7-ECDF5D14C49C.jpeg
    2346143F-DA71-4E00-B5B7-ECDF5D14C49C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

Perhaps to mitigated the "crispness" ding add some acid malt to the mash.

Latest posts

Back