What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First taste of my first cider.... I like

ForumRunner_20131020_005050.png

CliffMongoloid said:
How is that...worth it?

To me it sure is. I like it and last year I wasn't able to get any in time. It normally sells out in the first couple days.

CliffMongoloid said:
I got one from a friend and am saving it... Does it have a lot of pumpkin spice?

It has some yes, but it's not over spiced. I bought two. The other is sitting with my other bombers to let age a bit.

WesleyS said:
One of these days I'll have to find out what this Oerbier is all about.
CliffMongoloid said:
Christmas beer already?

Yeah - Mad Elf is out in a big way already. Good thing it ages fine since it won't have any for a month.

Ridire said:
Sorry, I misunderstood. I did match IBU, as the alpha acids were different in my Centennial v Northrern's. EDIT: I'm a math nerd, so I do get those things. I also use BeerSmith.
Billy-Klubb said:
then I say start using distilled water & custom hardening it with minerals if need be. that may take away any harshness without the PITA of pre-boiling your brewing water.

If your using Beersmith to make sure your IBUs match up, then water is a likely suspect (high mineral will make bitterness more pronounced) or in your recipe make sure your bitterness ratio is in line - the more IBU, the more malt you need to balance. Otherwise I'd change your schedule for later additions to get more flavor and aroma instead of bitterness.

Having coffee with breakfast before hitting the road to get back home.

The Coff. My body didn't like all the beer and scotch I had last night.

Awwwwwwwwwww foooooooooooook guess who's back on the mother fooooooking coooofffffeeee! I love you guys thanks for the support
:rockin:

Edit: NIZZLE on @sshats :-D

Hey there butt face!

Oolong, EmergenC, and water here. Beer thirty is gonna be early today. Finishing up yesterday's beer chores and getting brew day going.

Hey Nizz, any word on Bell playing today? I can't find nothing on the interwebs. I'm think Michael Bush against the skins terrible run defense anyway.

Hey there butt face!

Oolong, EmergenC, and water here. Beer thirty is gonna be early today. Finishing up yesterday's beer chores and getting brew day going.

Hey Nizz, any word on Bell playing today? I can't find nothing on the interwebs. I'm think Michael Bush against the skins terrible run defense anyway.

I will look sir.

Coffee coffee.

Me thinks you will be blowing the sheets off the bed in the morning. What exactly is "turbo cider"?
Turbo cider is supposedly just a quick cider. There's a recipe here that they call 5-day cider. 3 days in fermentation and then bottle. The assumed point is I'll have a fairly low ABV cider in a week.

As for the sheets off the bed, I lived. :) But because of the amount of yeast and the fact that it was indeed too young, I'm not giving it to anyone. May as well buy them a box of Dulcolax. :D
I doubt it's the amount of yeast you added. If your cider tastes yeasty, then it probably is. As in the yeast aren't done and don't want to drop out of suspension. If you want to know for sure, heat a sample in a pan on your stove to 140f for a couple of minutes. Then cold crash it. If it clears somewhat and looses the yeasty flavor, then you are just drinking the cider to young.

Oh, and if you used commercial apple cider and didn't add pectin enzyme, then it won't clear completely.
I've been reading about the pectin enzyme this morning. I wasn't looking for totally clear but the color was way different than I expected. I did pretty much chalk it up to the amount of yeast I used. I was going to pasteurize on the stove top then stick them in the fridge. I'm not worried about this batch, I think I just wanted to see what would happen if I added the entire package of yeast. Some people in the cider forums talk about adding the whole package but either they're waiting a very long time for the yeast to finish or they're full of junk.
Holy crap that's milky. I would crash for a little longer. It will eventually fall out. May not be done yet either.

As for the chlorine conversation. Boil well to evap off chlorine (or let sit for a while, a couple hours, sunlight breaks down chlorine rather quickly). Throw a campden tab in to work on the chloramine. That made my beers much better.
Interesting about the chlorine. For all brews I've been using spring water from the store as top off water. The first three beers I even used spring water for the boil then realized I was wasting my time/money since I was boiling that anyway. Anytime I am using water that isn't boiled, I am using store bought spring water.

Well,being Sunday,& saying a lil prayer over my infected IPA,i think God worked his magic. I tok a sample of it again this morning. Pics of results from Friday to this morning are in my "infected,but tasted ok" thread in the beginners forum. It cleared up again,after the renewed yeast activity to slightly misty again. some yeast settled on the bottom of the glass rather quickly as well. It smelled of NZ hops (I have a cold,so that's relative),& tasted of a lot of them as well...just as it should taste! Save for a little dryness on the pallet. since it looks good & tastes fine I'm gunna bottle it in a bit. Good thing it's been in the 40's & 50's the last few days. This batch of Maori IPA may just turn out pretty good after all. It did look like skimming & spraying the surface with Starsan had some little benificial effects. Slowed the lacto down enough to where the US-05 could dominate again to knock off that last 3 points. Here's hopin it carbs & conditions well. Gunna leave it in the mancave on 1st floor where it's cooler to bottle carb & condition. I wanna see if the other member's suggestion has merit. He mentioned carbing a little hair cooler to give the yeast a chance over warmth-loving infection from wild yeast.

NIZZLE said:
Awwwwwwwwwww foooooooooooook guess who's back on the mother fooooooking coooofffffeeee! I love you guys thanks for the support :rockin: Edit: NIZZLE on @sshats :-D
Welcome back broshnizz.

NIZZLE said:
Awwwwwwwwwww foooooooooooook guess who's back on the mother fooooooking coooofffffeeee! I love you guys thanks for the support

Damn HBT banned you from drinking coffee for 3 days too? Didnt know they had that much power.

Haha welcome back man. Enjoy the brewskis and banter in the forums on this beautiful football sunday.

Cheers.

I did not have time to post last night bit this is what I had

Sweet baby jesus

Tired hands handfarm

Saint arnold Pumpkinator

Jester King Artial Rubicide

Founders Breakfast Stout

Along with some of my ESB and Pilsner to close the night.

Welcome back Nizzle
Thanks for the kind words NIZZLE on.
Damn HBT banned you from drinking coffee for 3 days too? Didnt know they had that much power.

Haha welcome back man. Enjoy the brewskis and banter in the forums on this beautiful football sunday.

Cheers.
Yup no coffee for 3 days I'm surprised I'm still kicking :pipe: NIZZLE on

NIZZLE said:

And here I thought we'd gotten rid of you finally. Oh well, worse things have happened. ;-)

Welcome back brofish!!

On the coffee.

Back