how cold is to cold for you to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucket

Reaction score
Well as you can see we have have some crazy weather this year. I was planing on doing two brews next Saturday or Sunday the 21 or 22 of January. looking at the weather they are now saying its going to be a high of about 11 degrees... Now im really considering pushing off my brew day for another week sadly.. I have a real bad itch to get this brew day going. due to me hating the cold, i think this is alittle too cold more me.

Now my question for you it how cold does it need to be for you to push off your brew day?

temps dont really bother me, i just dont brew if it is raining or snowing really hard. i dont want stuff getting into my wort.

when its real cold i just bring the hot water in from outside and mash inside.

plus drinking a few HB will warm ya up.

I will also brew extract batches on my stove in the winter.

12 F is nothing. Just dress warm, shelter the kettle from the wind and everything will be a-okay. Summer brewing is overrated.

I brew at my friend's house. Since he is too lazy to take the hose for the wort chiller inside, it is too cold to brew whenever the hose freezes. :(

for me as long as it's above Zero I'm ok . . . hell high of about 15 here today and I'm getting ready to go throw a 9lbs hunk of beef on the grill to slow cook it for about 6 hours :D

A couple of years ago I taught a guy to brew ag on New Year's eve day, we brewed in his garage. It was fine when we had two burners going, but it was so cold that after flame out, while we were cooling our wort, 5 minutes after flameout, the bucket of sanitizer we had sitting there began icing over. And anything wet, like autosiphons and such started glazing.

It really is just about what you can handle.

I usually don't brew if my garden hose is frozen. It is just too hard to cleanup without it, and in Georgia it doesn't happen that often anyway. I did brew last Monday though. It was snowing like crazy and I had two pots boiling and steam was just rolling out of the front of my carport.

A snow slushy worked great with my prechiller. I was down to pitching temp in less than 15 minutes. I have plenty of snow left for todays batch.

I mash in the kitchen and boil in the garage (unheated), so it hasn't gotten too cold for me to brew yet. I'd rather brew in the cold because I can cool my wort all that much faster.

I do everything indoors except the boil. It's 33 degrees here today (feels like 23 according to weather.com) and I am going to get a batch going in about 1/2 hour :D

it never gets too cold for me as i do all my brewing inside in the kitchen. it may be a little different story if i had a turkey fryer to do my boils, of which that would then have to be done outside or in the garage.

temps dont really bother me, i just dont brew if it is raining or snowing really hard. i dont want stuff getting into my wort..

when its this cold I usually move the operation to the heated garage, but here's what I did last time I got caught in the rain

IMG_1437.jpg

i brew in the garage. So its always atleast 60* in the winter time (65 when im out there) and no warmer then 75 in the summer time. Thanks to heat and a/c :)

I made this when it was too cold for the kids to go to school. It may have been too cold to go to school, but it wasn't too cold to brew........

Back