complete noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

400d

Reaction score
ok, less than a month ago I went to a fishing trip, and a friend showed me something that was supposed to be a wild hop plant. there were no hops on it because, like he said, it was to early in these climates.

anyway, I picked a piece of a plant and brought it home. put it in a glass jar untill it started to grow new leaves, and then removed it into flower pot on my balcony.

this grows like crazy, but I'm worried I have a trojan horse in my house :D

so, is this a hop plant?

270820101224.jpg

Nope. Is it a link to a photo sharing website (flikr, etc)? My employer's firewall blocks a number of those and I can't see them.

@Walker

i uploaded the picture in my picture gallery in this forum. just click on my gallery. :mug:

I'll put it directly in here then. Looks like hops to me, but what LGI said is also true... it's a Trojan Horse in that you have no idea what properties the hops will have at all (flavor, aroma, bitterness).

270820101224.jpg

Saw this in a different thread - I would recommend dbl checking with a good google search:
==================
I got schooled in this method from a hop grower close to me. From the days when they used leather lederhosen to test wort!

Do the measurements accurately:

Take one ounce of your hops.

Boil two cups of water for 15 minutes with 1 scant Tbsp of sugar (utilization).
Add your hops and boil for 10 minutes.

Strain the hops and take your tea to dilute

1/4 of a cup of water to 1/4 cup of tea= one %.
So dump the first mixture retaining 1/4 cup and then add 1/4 cup water
Continue with dilute 1/4 cup of your tea until the bitterness is not distiguishable by taste.

Now if you have diluted 6 times and only have the slightest barely there bitterness-- you think about 6.1 or 6.3 %

It is a rough estimate: 5% to 6% for example, but it means you can brew with some idea of AA and you get to taste the hop tea too to get a flavor profile

I'll put it directly in here then. Looks like hops to me, but what LGI said is also true... it's a Trojan Horse in that you have no idea what properties the hops will have at all (flavor, aroma, bitterness).

270820101224.jpg

it's not so important to me. i like to experiment. I just wanted to know if it was hops or not. thanks a lot for the answer.

Saw this in a different thread - I would recommend dbl checking with a good google search:
==================
I got schooled in this method from a hop grower close to me. From the days when they used leather lederhosen to test wort!

Do the measurements accurately:

Take one ounce of your hops.

Boil two cups of water for 15 minutes with 1 scant Tbsp of sugar (utilization).
Add your hops and boil for 10 minutes.

Strain the hops and take your tea to dilute

1/4 of a cup of water to 1/4 cup of tea= one %.
So dump the first mixture retaining 1/4 cup and then add 1/4 cup water
Continue with dilute 1/4 cup of your tea until the bitterness is not distiguishable by taste.

Now if you have diluted 6 times and only have the slightest barely there bitterness-- you think about 6.1 or 6.3 %

It is a rough estimate: 5% to 6% for example, but it means you can brew with some idea of AA and you get to taste the hop tea too to get a flavor profile

thanks for this! :mug:

maybe it has nothing to do with it, but this plant was growing in a very wet area, near the river and extremely hot climates(daily temperatures up to 104 F). do you think one can say something about eventual properties of hops by this fact?

maybe it has nothing to do with it, but this plant was growing in a very wet area, near the river and extremely hot climates(daily temperatures up to 104 F). do you think one can say something about eventual properties of hops by this fact?

most likely not. all the wild hops i've found over the years have been in the vicinity of a water source (ditch, stream etc.). they seem to like to be able to secure water when they want it and generally, these areas are actually well drained due to the stones that end up settling there over time.

Back