Getting back on the (brewing) horse... *Pics*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
Well, after being a bum in the homebrewing world for the last 9 months or so, I am finally going to get back at it. The last 6-7 months have been very busy with my first home purchase in Oct 09 (months before that I was busy looking for one), a job switch (closer to new home), and wedding planning (Aug 7, 2010 is the date).

So, anyway, this week I started to get around to rehabbing my 4912 kegerator - disassembled and cleaned it, added new beer line, etc. I set it up in the basement for now, with a countertop I salvaged from my kitchen remodel to set things on or hang out at and drink a few if I want to. I want to remodel a large "family room" we have on the rear of the house someday and add a bar to part of it - its a 25x14 room so there is room for it, and a sitting TV area. But for now its the basement.

roaring_bull_kegerator.jpg

I also added a roaring bull tap handle for something I planned to put on tap. :) And I performed the keg tower cooling trick with copper pipe that extends into the fridge to conduct the cool to the tower/lines. No pics of the mod, its same as others have done, but here is the tap handle:

roaring_bull_tap_handle1.jpg

Since I haven't brewed in forever, all I had was a batch of 1 year aged Apfelwein on hand. So, I put in a can of concentrate to backsweeten and threw that on tap. I also ran to the local beverage distributor and picked up a sixtel of troegs hopback amber (it was that, SNPA, or troegs pils - all they had in sixtel) and threw that on tap with my perlick low profile sankey tap. :)

2_kegs_on_tap.jpg

To two kegs, from none, in no time. :ban:

Now, its to get back to brewing. I have some ingredients that are roughly 3 months old (the extract and specialty grains on bottom shelf for a extract ESB - thought I could squeeze in a quick one a few months back and it never happened) and some that are 6 months old (the all grain 3 floyds gumball head clone i am attempting - top shelf). Hops have been frozen since received so they should be fine... I will find time to brew both soon.

ingredients2.jpg

I also ordered 2 hop rhizomes (including a jumbo hallarteau) and plan to get them in the ground by week's end. I know its late, but the jumbo might produce something and if not I'm getting a jumpstart on next year...

It's good to be back! :mug:

It's about time! I thought maybe you lost the brewing bug, and were going to be AWOL around here. Welcome "back"!

Tell me about it... I never thought about going AWOL forever, I was just busy with other stuff!

Now that it's all pretty much wrapping itself up, other than wheeling the jeep a weekend here and there through summer and fall, I have time to brewwww!

nice - I love the repurposed countertop!

Yeah, it wasn't working in the kitchen, but works fine for a brewing workstation or area to drink some brews!

It's really a "peninsula", so I may use it as such once I figure out how I want to set everything up... then people could sit around three sides of it, instead of just at the one side...

I figure that peninsula and maybe a hightop table or so (plan on checking out garage sales for used, small tables) and I'll have a nice little pub area for relatively cheap.

Back