Fruity Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used 1272, but from the wyeast description, it looks like a pretty good fit. I just made an IPA using 1214 Belgian Abbey. I haven't tasted the finished product, but it smelled/tasted good at bottling. I've got a belgian wit fermenting on that yeast cake right now - it's also smelling good. I ferment 65-67, so it's a little lower than wyeast recommends, but I think that just lends to a very clean belgian flavor.

just my two cents

I agree with 1214. Very fruity esters. I, too, have not used 1272 before.

If you want to stay away from Belgian, I get good fruity esters from S-04 English Ale as well.

I agree with 1214. Very fruity esters. I, too, have not used 1272 before.

If you want to stay away from Belgian, I get good fruity esters from S-04 English Ale as well.

I like the idea of the Belgian. Can't reallly pinpoint exactly the taste I am shooting for, but it will be similar to Troegs Nugget NEctar and/or Hopslam.

Will the 1214 be able to handle an OG 1.077 without pooping out? What could I expect from it?

1214 will absolutely handle 1.077 with no problem. When I keep the temps around 68-70F I get a healthy dose of banana. Let it get up more like 72-74F and they turn clove-like. In between is a sort of middle ground. Lower than 68F and it's more of an indistinct fruitiness with a leaning towards the banana. However, I have only done that on one batch...

I'd go for something English. I don't think the phenolics in a Belgian yeast are what you are looking for here. I had a Belgian IPA the other day. It was...interesting to say the least. I'm not sure I like how the phenolics and high hop aroma go together. 1028, ringwood, S-04 would all be good candidates.

Stout with Chimay yeast worked for me rather well, lots of dried fruit flavours with the roast and the fruity yeast, am doing a couple of hoppier batches right now with the same yeast to experiment. Glad to know others are trying a similar thing!

Appreciate all the comments. I hope I'm not misleading... The only way I can describe the flaor/ester profile I am looking at is by comparing it to nugget necatr. Sounds like the WLP023 is a good choice

Back