American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should let them know the name is wrong ;):p:D

Cheers for the possible dry hop info, good to know, might give it a try.

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %

1.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (30 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (1 min) Hops 1.2 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

1 Pkgs Pacman Yeast (Wyeast) [Starter 50 ml] [Cultured] Yeast-Ale

You could use any well-attenuating clean ale yeast. WLP001, or Wyeast 1056 come to mind, or S05 for dry.

Mash at 152.
My beers seem to attenuate really well- so use a lower mash temp if you've have attenuation problems in the past. I got about 82% attenuation with the pacman yeast.

For extract, a full boil would be the same but use 8 pounds light or extra light DME.
For an extract batch with a 2.5 gallon boil, do this:
4 pounds DME
1 pound crystal 20
4 pounds DME (added at flame out)
Hopping the same.

This was obviously built and brewed a long long time ago.

and now the website for Stone suggests the below hops feature in the beer, I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried to clone or take inspiration from the changes?? (I'm sure many of you think (V1.0) was better, but we should hopefully be past that now.

FEATURED HOPS
Magnum
Nugget
Centennial
Simcoe
Citra® & Azacca

Centennial obviously still plays a major part in the beer, both in boil and dryhopping, citra would be dryhop only, with magnum of bittering and nugget i assume at 30 minutes?

90min - 30G magnum (Or whatver Bittering Hop you want)
30min - 30G Nugget

10min - 30G (Centennial??)
flameout - 30G EACH?? (Simcoe?? & Centennial??)

Dryhop - Centennial & Citra (Azacca too??)

Planning on using the new Verdant yeast, once I figure out how and where I want hops

This was obviously built and brewed a long long time ago.

and now the website for Stone suggests the below hops feature in the beer, I'd be interested to see if anyone has tried to clone or take inspiration from the changes?? (I'm sure many of you think (V1.0) was better, but we should hopefully be past that now.

FEATURED HOPS
Magnum
Nugget
Centennial
Simcoe
Citra® & Azacca

Centennial obviously still plays a major part in the beer, both in boil and dryhopping, citra would be dryhop only, with magnum of bittering and nugget i assume at 30 minutes?

90min - 30G magnum (Or whatver Bittering Hop you want)
30min - 30G Nugget

10min - 30G (Centennial??)
flameout - 30G EACH?? (Simcoe?? & Centennial??)

Dryhop - Centennial & Citra (Azacca too??)

Planning on using the new Verdant yeast, once I figure out how and where I want hops
That looks good to me, although I'd do a huge flameout/whirlpool. Probably 56g each of Centennial and Simcoe. Then dry hop with mostly Citra/Azacca and a small charge of Centennial.

Looking into brewing a tasty DIPA and have all the hops listed.
Any update on the attempts with version 2.0 ?
true, sorry.

yeah i used M44 yeast instead to keep it nice and clean.

i ended up prety much at the recipe above, with a dryhop of 75g each of centennial and citra, with 50g of azacca.
it was tasty, but still needs work.

true, sorry.

yeah i used M44 yeast instead to keep it nice and clean.

i ended up prety much at the recipe above, with a dryhop of 75g each of centennial and citra, with 50g of azacca.
it was tasty, but still needs work.

Thanks for your reply.
What would you change?

Sometimes the yeast makes all the difference.
When I get around to brewing this I will for sure use WLP007.

If you're looking for a great British yeast, I'd go with Imperial "Pub", which is supposedly is Fuller's. That said, I'm quite a fan of London Pride.
Yeah I've heard great things about Pub and will probably order it for a Fuller's ESB clone.
I like wlp007 for AIPAs and have it on hand so will use it for this. First up is a Union Jack with wlp002 though.

Yeah I've heard great things about Pub and will probably order it for a Fuller's ESB clone.
I like wlp007 for AIPAs and have it on hand so will use it for this. First up is a Union Jack with wlp002 though.
WLP-002 is the yeast you see often for Stone clones. Another, though not "British", is WLP-090 Super San Diego is thought to be a 'super' Chico III varient allegedly to possibly be a house strain for Stone or Ballast Point.

I've used Pub in three beers in the past year, as well as 3 with WLP-090. As different as each is, I wouldn't hesitate to use either one in an AIPA.

WLP-002 is the yeast you see often for Stone clones. Another, though not "British", is WLP-090 Super San Diego is thought to be a 'super' Chico III varient allegedly to possibly be a house strain for Stone or Ballast Point.

I've used Pub in three beers in the past year, as well as 3 with WLP-090. As different as each is, I wouldn't hesitate to use either one in an AIPA.
Only saw this now 2.5 years later as I wanted to come back to this recipe because I finally got a load of Centennial that tastes like I remember it from 5 years ago. Glad I bagged a whole kilo of it.
The previous two orders I got were just too sharp citrus lemon/lime and took me ages to get through as supporting hops rather than the main hop.

Anyone progressed with the 2.0 recipe yet?
I also have some Azaca I want to use up.

Looks like Crusader1612 hasn't been active for a few years.

Thanks!

I made the original what seems like a zillion years ago. Seems to me adding Simcoe and Azacca makes this more like Pliny the Elder. Likely pretty tasty. Most of my current IPAs use Centennial, Citra and Simcoe with the occasional Azacca. Great hops.

I made the original what seems like a zillion years ago. Seems to me adding Simcoe and Azacca makes this more like Pliny the Elder. Likely pretty tasty. Most of my current IPAs use Centennial, Citra and Simcoe with the occasional Azacca. Great hops.
I will give it a go with adding the Nugget, Azacca, Citra and Simcoe.
I just need to decide on the ratios.

Back