About this CO2 tank I bought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWIII

Reaction score
I manged to scored a 20 lb. CO2 tank, filled, with regulator for $25 yesterday. The regulator that reads the tank capacity was damaged. The casing had no glass, the side was dented in causing the dial and needle to also be bent. I carefully worked everything back in to place and opened up the spigot. The needle goes up to just over 800 psi. So, it reacts to releasing pressure and adding it. I just don't know if it's accurate.

My question is, is there a way to test whether this dial is shot? I hate to replace it if it still works.

If I need to replace it would something like this (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98892) be a suitable replacement? I really know nothing about harbor freight products except to say I have one within eyeshot from where I now sit and can have this today.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I really wouldnt worry about the high pressure dial telling you anything. The high pressure dial, if its not leaking, should be fine, just replace it later when you get some cash, they are like 7-9 bucks at keg connection. THe dial usually reads about 500-900 whether it full or not and depends a lot on whether you have in in the kegerator or at room temperature. Then one day when you run out of gas it will read 0. Mine hardly ever give me any indication of how full the tank is.

Agreed. Don't worry about the HP gauge. Does it have a low pressure gauge that works? That's what matters.

Oh, 800psi is typical for the high side depending on temp.

Not sure if the low side works. This is the first piece of the kegging puzzle and I don't have any kegs yet. Is there a way to test the low side?

Without seeing what brand of regulator you have...I'd just like to point out.

Most of the Beer "PRIMARY" Regulators have LEFT HAND THREAD fittings on the High Pressure Gauge, and the STEM that connects to the tank.

Here's a replacement:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=221

Note: they carry Right Hand 0-2000 psi gauges as well...if that's what your regulator takes.

Every Low Pressure Gauge I've seen has been Right Hand Thread

Here's a replacement:

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=73

I don't know the range of the regulator...but you should probably get a Low Pressure gauge with the same range as the one you're replacing. It gives users an idea of the range of the regulator...and there is usually a safety relief valve...and that's usually set for the top end or just above the working range of the regulator.

You might pick up some Nylon washers that go between the regulator and the tank valve when you order (unless your tank valve has an o-ring face on it.)

Like what everyone else was saying. The High Pressure Gauge is worthless information other than to tell you the tank is empty...cause gas over liquids in a compressed cylinder just go up and down with ambient temperature. It WOULD be nice to know how high the pressure is going in the tank if you're using it outside in direct sunlight...IE getting the tank HOT. Otherwise...is just floats around somewhere between 500-1200 psi depending on where you keep the tank (inside kegerator vs outside the kegerator in a hot garage) The next useful info that it gives is whe the liquid is depleted...and you're down to the pressurized gaseous CO2...in which case the pressure will drop pretty quickly --- then you're out of gas.

Great score! You can't go wrong putting a couple of bucks getting that rig up to par.

Oh..as far as testing...

I got a fitting from Home Depot. Since my other regulators have 1/4" FFL swivel nuts on the end of the hoses... I picked up a 1/4" MFL to 1/4 NPT Female ...and I just attach it to my good regulator...then I thread a gauge of unknown usefulness in the other end of the fitting. AS I dial up the pressure on my Known working regulator...I compare the pressures. It's a good way to validate the gauge. But you've got to have access to a working regulator to do this with. I've got another one with 1/8" NPT Female that I use to test Oil Pressure Senders/Switches...

Personally I would replace the high pressure gauge or at the least buy a plug and seal up that opening properly. Would not want to chance a damaged gauge failing on me when I least expected it, could be dangerous. $10 for a replacement or $1-$2 for plug and thread sealer.

Saving a few bucks with a high pressure gas device is just not worth it.

To test the low-pressure side, just turn the screw inward.

Sorry david, I'm not sure what you mean? As if you couldn't tell, I'm a noob at this kegging thing and just finding my way around what to do. Thanks.

Back