Wyeast Activator slow to start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farff

Reaction score
I've brewed twice before. Both times, I used a Wyeast Activator package and it expanded fully within 2.5 days. However, I started a Wyeast Activator I ordered yesterday and I can't tell that it has expanded at all. In fact, when I opened the package from my shipment, the yeast package felt luke warm. Do I have a bad package or is the Belgian Wit Wyeast package just slower? Thanks in advance!

Whats the date on the package? It may just be older and slow getting going.
You can always make a starter if you want to proof the yeast.
The lukewarm thing shouldn't be a big deal. TONS of people order yeast the same way with great results.

Not at all. Go ahead and make a starter and pitch the yeast into the starter. As spludge stated, you'll basically be "proofing" your yeast just to make sure that they are still viable. Regardless of whether you are concerned about your yeast's health or not, you should get in the habit of always making a starter if using liquid yeast.

My Wyeast Activator packs never expand. i just smack them and through them into a starter and always have good results

Back