Does Delayed brewing effect efficiency?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenryals

Reaction score
Lets say i order a kit crushed.. it from crush date to brew date is 6-10 days.. will that effect anything ?

no, but you don't want to wait too long (over say a month) from the crush date. The grains will start to get stale.

I used to buy my grain precrushed from my LHBS before I got my Barley Crusher. I'd go when it was convenient and wait 2-3 weeks before brewing sometimes. I never really tasted any "staleness". I wouldn't wait more than a month though.

Yeah, I'm not really sure about staleness being the right word. I'm not even sure what the effect would be. But I do know that it's not good to let crushed grains hang out too long before brewing.

That short of a time should be fine, for the people who order pre-crushed kits online that would be the normal time from crush at the store to brew. I would find something else to worry about. ;)

I guess I'm trying to justify a couple batches with low efficiency.. :) I need to get a barley crusher anyway.. I was just wondering if it did actually many any real difference

Lets say i order a kit crushed.. it from crush date to brew date is 6-10 days.. will that effect anything ?

It's risky to wait that long before brewing. You could run out of beer before your next batch is ready. I don't think that's a risk worth taking. :D

Back