Yeast Viability...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelikan

Reaction score
I have a mini-fridge I use for keeping my beer ingredients. Seems like I left the door cracked for a day, maybe up to two. Temp rose to about 55-60*F during that time. I have a few White Labs vials in there, what's the prognosis?

The yeast probably suffered a little, but I'm sure they're fine. As per usual, make up a starter and grow to appropriate levels before pitching.

:mug:

The yeast probably suffered a little, but I'm sure they're fine. As per usual, make up a starter and grow to appropriate levels before pitching.

:mug:

plus you'll know if the yeast is toast or not based on how your starters do. If the worst happened and they died you'll still have time to get another vial from the homebrew store before brewing.

I'm happy to report my California Ale starter is truckin' away at the moment. The other vial is a Belgian Wit, which I won't be able to use for a few weeks, but all things considered I think it'll be fine. Indeed, when I really think about the issue like a rational human being, it would probably take a lot longer than one or two days at ambient temps to significantly impact a sterile culture in nutrient broth.

Back