Turkey Fryer Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
I just found a Turkey Fryer on Craigslist that has a 24qt alumn. pot and a cheapish looking burner. I am just about to get into extract brewing and I wonder if I should purchase this. It is $40 and brand new.

Here are links to both photos listed:

http://images.craigslist.org/3na3ma3od5Q15Tb5P09a4aa30466d33fb1180.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n83k83of5Oa5Ra5Se9a4480c1442886f1d93.jpg

Is this worth it or should I just get a huge pot for the gas stove at home? Ive seen people use their gas grill! lol.

Thoughts?

First thing to do would be to replace the aluminum pot with a stainless steel one. The burner will probably work just fine.

First thing to do would be to replace the aluminum pot with a stainless steel one. The burner will probably work just fine.

aluminum will work fine, but you won't be able to do a full boil in that size pot. agreed about the burner, it will be great.

Now I'm really confused. I'm told that the aluminum doens't matter. Have you had issues with them in the past? Is there something I should be on the lookout for if I have to go aluminum?

Thanks

aluminum will work fine, but you won't be able to do a full boil in that size pot. agreed about the burner, it will be great.

For now I am only going to be brewing extract (however I would like to try AG as soon as I can afford it! So I might be extract brewing for a while. lol.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just find a small-ish pot for now and just boil on my gas stove inside while doing extract.

I purchased a turkey fryer and the pot works ok, and I know of no problems with using the aluminum pot for brewing. It is a bit small for 5 gallons of boiling wort, as mine is about 6 gallons and doesn't leave a lot of room, so gotta watch closely for boil overs. The burner was ok, not great as it was a bit hard to adjust very closely.

But for a cheap setup, it works fine. Just a note, I use the pot on my gas range in the kitchen. Better gas control. If you are going to all-grain you will need to boil 5 gallon batches on the stove.

Rick

I purchased a turkey fryer and the pot works ok, and I know of no problems with using the aluminum pot for brewing. It is a bit small for 5 gallons of boiling wort, as mine is about 6 gallons and doesn't leave a lot of room, so gotta watch closely for boil overs. The burner was ok, not great as it was a bit hard to adjust very closely.

But for a cheap setup, it works fine. Just a note, I use the pot on my gas range in the kitchen. Better gas control. If you are going to all-grain you will need to boil 5 gallon batches on the stove.

Rick

Thank you (and everyone else) for the replies. I'm assuming this would be 'better' than investing in a possibly larger kettle but boil indoors on a gas stove. That way I would be better set up for AG when I make the leap? Just trying to do the right thing on a very tight budget!

Thank you all

Thank you (and everyone else) for the replies. I'm assuming this would be 'better' than investing in a possibly larger kettle but boil indoors on a gas stove. That way I would be better set up for AG when I make the leap? Just trying to do the right thing on a very tight budget!

Thank you all

Well, you may still need a couple of large pots when you switch to all grain, so the aluminum pot with the turkey fryer could be used to heat sparge water, so it would not go to waste. If you don't need the burner perhaps you could just find a good sized kettle. If that doesn't fit your budget, then the turkey fryer is ok.

Rick

My $0.02
I would spend a few bucks more and get a tried and true burner. the SQ-14 is on sale right now for $49 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Then, work on getting a stock pot. Aluminum is fine but I would recommend getting one no smaller than 32qt so you can do full boils

Interesting. Thanks for the input. Even more :off: is this (i know aluminum) 40qt stock pot for $33 - http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=328611

I need to take this up with the wife. I might have to resort to just "getting something" for extract brewing indoors and then re-buying the rest when it's a better time. I guess I would rather be brewing extract indoors than waiting on extra money to show up! <sigh> the decisions lol

Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back