I've got a leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
So I went to pour a pint after an 11 hour work day - nothing. I open up the kegerator and my CO2 is empty. And I just filled it up Saturday. Now I have to drive 30 minutes each way and spend another $25 to fill it up this weekend. This sucks.

Well, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the trouble. This is one of those reasons (despite the fact that bottling is a major pain in the ass) that I'm hesitant to get into kegging. Too many things to go wrong. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

Chad

If your system was tight before, the most likely problem is not getting the tank nut tight enough. I've been kegging a long time & I still leak test every time I connect a fresh tank.

Dittto what David said. After swapping a tank once, I put thread tape on the regulator to tank threads--big mistake.

I purchased some one of those 16gram Co2 dispensers for my portable kegerator and it works in a pinch for dispensing a keg when the bottle runs out.

If your system was tight before, the most likely problem is not getting the tank nut tight enough. I've been kegging a long time & I still leak test every time I connect a fresh tank.

I was just going to ask about this. I stick my ear up *real* close to the fittings after I replace my cylinder, but I don't do a soap check at all. I feel like I'd be able to hear the smallest of leaks, but that's based on nothing so I could be completely wrong. How many folks out there do a soapy leak test every time they install a cylinder or make a gas plumbing change?

Anyway, that's a bummer, dude. :(

Keg lube!!

Most HBS's will carry it. It's a small black, mini-hockey-puck lookin' containter with what is basically a food-safe silicon sealer. Just put a tiny bit around the o-rings on your posts and then make your gas/beer connections. It'll keep your o-rings from deteriorating and if you have any tiny gas leaks, it'll seal them. I replace all of my rings and poppets whenever I buy a new corny keg and then use keg lube and I haven't had a leak in a long long time.

Like I was saying, you should be able to get it anywhere but here's what it looks like....

http://www.breworganic.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=649

So I went to get my tank filled up this morning, checked all the lines, the kegs, hook it up, and it's leaking - the regulator. I put a new tank volume guage on recently, and it's leaking. I've unscrewed it multiple times, and no matter how tight or loose I put it on, it leaks. Now I have to go back to the homebrew store and get a new regulator (another 35 minutes both way). And to boot, I hooked up the tank, and came back into the room and most of my keg of belgian ale had emptied onto the floor, and when I pulled the drip tray off, my bracket came right of the kegerator with it. This is not my weekend:(

EDIT: I'm thinking of buying one through Micromatic, does anyone know how fast the turnaround time is for them? I need to have a beer carbed for a party in 2 weeks.

EDIT: I'm thinking of buying one through Micromatic, does anyone know how fast the turnaround time is for them? I need to have a beer carbed for a party in 2 weeks.

I've ordered from them in the past, and if your item is in stock they are quick. I live in Tennessee and I was getting my stuff in 2 to 3 days.

So I went to get my tank filled up this morning, checked all the lines, the kegs, hook it up, and it's leaking - the regulator. I put a new tank volume guage on recently, and it's leaking. I've unscrewed it multiple times, and no matter how tight or loose I put it on, it leaks. Now I have to go back to the homebrew store and get a new regulator (another 35 minutes both way). And to boot, I hooked up the tank, and came back into the room and most of my keg of belgian ale had emptied onto the floor, and when I pulled the drip tray off, my bracket came right of the kegerator with it. This is not my weekend:(

Where is it leaking on the regulator? Mine was leaking through that little hole on the front. I took the regulator apart, cleaned, tightened the internal workings and that fixed it.

I think they shipped my order next day and they have warehouses throughout the country so the ship time will be quick.

Where is it leaking on the regulator? Mine was leaking through that little hole on the front. I took the regulator apart, cleaned, tightened the internal workings and that fixed it.

I think they shipped my order next day and they have warehouses throughout the country so the ship time will be quick.

It looks like it's leaking where I put the new gauge on (the one that measures the volume left in the tank). I might try to take it apart later today and if that doesn't do the job, I'll order a new one.

The problem with ordering one is the SWMBO will be back in town on Thursday and I'm sure she'll want one last crack at using the kegerator before she moves to San Diego on Saturday.

Back