My first Bottle Bomb!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteOz77

Reaction score
OK, so I have been brewing since Decemeber 07 and have made a LOT of beer, but have only bottled 3 full batches of beer, as well as the overflow from every batch that won't fit into kegs.

Today I came home from work, walked into the house....and detected a distinct beery smell This I knew to be bad news, as my kegerater and lagerator are both outside, and the only thing I have fermenting in the house is Apfelwein. Another bad sign is that the front door is on the opposite end of the house from any of my beer (I'm talking at least 45 feet and 3 rooms away.)

As I made my way through the house, I sense the smell getting stronger as I made my way to my study, where I condition all of my bottles on shelves in the wardrobe (think closet). I open the door and am slammed in the face with the smell of spilled beer. I open the wardrobe and see a full bottle laying on the floor in a puddle of beer.

Here's the deal. Batch #29 which I bottled exactly 2 weeks ago, was sitting on the shelf, 24 x 750ml bottles and a dozen or so other smaller bottles. A bottle in the middle has EXPLODED, splattering everywhere and sending shards of glass into everything. The force of the explosion has pushed all of the bottles away from where they were sitting and even blown one off the shelf, onto the carpeted floor without breaking it.

Here's where it gets strange. I panicked and got out the gloves and goggles and moved every bottle from the wardrobe to the ouside pergola area. No other bottles blew up fortunately. After I decided that none of them were going to blow up in my face, I opened 3 of them up and none of them seemed over carbed. I guess this explains why there was no chain reaction in the wardrobe.

I am guessing that this must have just been a weak bottle. I bulk primed, so all of the bottles should have been primed equally, and I know this bottle was definitely not one of the last I bottled, so I have no other reason that It blew up.

WHAT A MESS! I had these nice timber slat shelves that I had all 100 or so bottles sitting on, and the inside of this wardrobe is covered with beer.. as is the carpeting on the floor. Fortunately, most of the beer was caught in 3 brand new Apple wireless keyboards on the shelf directly below the bottles @ $100 each. They went directly into the trash :(

SWMBO was surprisingly not impressed with the spectacle, and didn't even comment other than to throw up her hands and walk out.

Oh yeah, now for the best part... it was a RIS :rockin:

Welcome to the club, the Bottle Bomb Club. :D I have not had one since 1988 and it happened while I was out of town in the basement. SWMBO was not happy as it was a day or two before she noticed it.

Did you gently stir on the bulk priming?

If they were used bottles and not the returnable kind, I can see this happening.

Knocking on wood here, but in almost 2 years of brewing I haven't had any. Fortunately though, I have 3 full bathrooms. We use the master bath all the time, the basement bath is for cleaning all my equipment, and the spare bath in the hall is for fermentation/conditioning. I do all fermenting and bottle conditioning in that tub with the shower curtain drawn... Just in case!

l_14bd97454c77e9fa8dce70205e256b0d.jpg

I've only had one bomb and I'm pretty sure it was a bottle flaw, not the brew. All the other bottles in the batch were fine carbonation wise so a flaw is the only conclusion I could come up with. The other bottles stayed at the same temperature for a couple months after the explosion and I never had another break.

Welcome to the club, the Bottle Bomb Club. :D I have not had one since 1988 and it happened while I was out of town in the basement. SWMBO was not happy as it was a day or two before she noticed it.

Did you gently stir on the bulk priming?

If they were used bottles and not the returnable kind, I can see this happening.

I actually rocked the bottling bucket back and forth as it filled and I carried it from one room to another, and rocked it a bit more before starting to fill.

The bottle was a 750ml (25 oz) screw top non returnable.

So, either this was teh very first bottle, and there was more sugar because the spigot had a higher concentration in it because the wort in the spigot didn't get mixed as well as the rest in the bucket, OR it was just a bad bottle.

Like I said, I sample a few other bottles and resealed tham, and they were not over carbed. None of them seemed to have enough pressure in them to want to explode.

I'm just bummed that I wasn't here when it happened. I sit about 6 feet away from where this happened every night when I am online and when I am watching movies. I would have like to have the shirt scared out of me at least if I am losing a beverage here.. man

Too late.... they went out with the trash...

Oh that's too bad, I've gotten a few free apple keyboards that had "liquid damage."

Took them out of the trash took them home and cleaned out the stickiness. Let them dry and plugged them in. Worked fine.

Well, it's official, that was definitely a defective bottle.. no more bombs and I opened few to check the carbonation.

Hope I never have another one though.. what a MESS!

Latest posts

Back