Removing a chilled keg for additional conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upthink

Reaction score
After many years of extract, I recently went all-grain and got a bit hooked. 7 AG batches in 2 months. While a majority of my beer is not ready to consume, I do have a Simcoe IPA that is ready to carb. My keezer only holds 2 corny kegs, so I decided to remove a 2 month old, partially consumed RIS to make room for the Simcoe IPA.

I removed the RIS keg and took it into my basement (around 55-60 degrees this time of year) for "additional" aging-- ultimately, until I have room in the keezer to finish it. It has about 1.5-2 gallons remaining inside, fully carbonated.

A knowledgable resource at my LHBS has just informed me that the RIS is most likely ruined because it was removed and brought to a warmer temperature.

I just made the swap last night, less than 24 hours ago. Have I really ruined the remaining beer in that keg? Should I swap it back out ASAP?

I have read other posts in which other members claim to chill and carb kegs before removing them for aging / conditioning at room temperature. This gives me some hope, but I cannot help but be a little concerned.

Although a bit young to even be drinking, I should have patiently finished off the RIS... but the dry-hopped ( in keg, using dip tube screen) Simcoe IPA was too tempting to resist. I'll patiently wait for it to carb over the next 7-10 days. Looks like a bigger keezer is worth considering.

Side note: After lurking around on this site for years, I finally set up an account. Long overdue. It's such a valuable resource for all things homebrew.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the land of HBT.

A "knowledgeable resource" you say? Seems unlikely. Your beer is perfectly fine! Maybe even better! I wouldn't be dispensing beer from the tap at 60 degrees due to foaming, but there is not a darn thing wrong with bringing it out of your keezer.

In fact, for many of the bigger beers that I make, I force carb them at 35 degrees, then pull them out to condition for an additional period of time at 50 degrees.

It would kinda make me question any other "advice" you received.

Yeah I wouldn't trust that dude anymore. Does he think a lager that goes from cold to warm is ruined? What about the zillions of brewers (home and commercial) that cold crash their beer? Or the Belgian/Trappist breweries that "lager" all their ales before bottling, then purposely keeping them really warm for faster bottle carbing? I guess it's all ruined.

Thanks for the quick reply, ColoHox. I feel much better about my choice to swap the kegs.

Luckily, I have an older 15cf chest freezer in my basement used as a fermentation chamber. Once my latest brew (Blonde) is finished fermenting, I'll take a break from brewing and use this freezer (hooked up to an STC-1000) to force carb and then age outside of the freezer. I don't trust this freezer to consistently cycle for long periods of time, but for a few weeks it should have plenty of life left. This time of the year, I'm only using a heating element (paint can / light bulb) without the freezer plugged in.

Back