Pouring wort on top of yeast cake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1ryno

Reaction score
Why would this be a bad idea?

Does the yeast cake require cleaning before doing this even if I brew the same type of beer?

When I bottle I like to also brew a new batch for the fermentor... once the wort is cooled, why couldn't I just pour the wort on the yeast cake? I do have a new yeast pack... I still need to start the starter for it... so I figured why not re-use the yeast cake for the same type of beer.

I've done it, when I specifically made a "small beer" in order to have a large amount of yeast for a bigger beer- like 3 gallons of lager, and the entire yeast cake then used for a 10 gallon batch of lager.

But for the most part, it's not a good idea. here's some good reading on it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

I've done it a couple of times when I didn't have new/washed yeast and wanted to flip batches quickly. I haven't had any problems in my few times doing it but yoopers thread has some great info. Give it a try... It's only beer!

I want to try washing my yeast, not yet but i intend on starting 1 gallon beers and brewing every 3 weeks on the dot and I would like to only buy yeast every 3rd or 4th brew (heard that yeast mutates funky after the 3rd or 4th generation) so I would be interested in a very fast washing method.

I want to try washing my yeast, not yet but i intend on starting 1 gallon beers and brewing every 3 weeks on the dot and I would like to only buy yeast every 3rd or 4th brew (heard that yeast mutates funky after the 3rd or 4th generation) so I would be interested in a very fast washing method.

If you're brewing almost immediately after racking the beer, you can leave a bit of beer on the yeast cake and then just divide it up and use it. It'll be fine a few weeks in the fridge.

If you want to rinse it, this sticky is helpful: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/

Latest posts

Back