Uses For Spent Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image-713558268.jpg

Spinach, mushroom, black olive pizza on spent APA grains with a sip or two of Firestone DBA mixed in.

That sounds interesting. How do you use it? It seems like it would be pretty crunchy. Do you mill it finer, or just use a small portion for added texture in a normal bread recipe?

My wife uses it in bread in two ways ..... first, she dries it in the oven, then part of it goes into the bread mix whole (Think 7 grain bread, etc.), and the other part goes into the flour mill - yep, spent-grain flour! Since it has lost all or most of it's gluten in the mashing process, you can only use about 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups of regular whole wheat flour (ground in the same flour mill). She uses these combinations for whole wheat homemade bread, biscuits, pizza crusts, pie crusts, waffles, hotcakes etc. i.e. anything that uses dough!
We also dry and feed it to the chickens, and make doggie biscuits with it .... Brooklyn Brew Shop (http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/category/spentgrainchef/), Homebrew exchange (http://homebrewexchange.net/recipe/spent-grain-bread-recipe), and a lot of others on the web have all kinds of recipes using spent grains.

Raccoons attract coyotes and probably that is what ate your chickens. I've never heard of a raccoon killing a chicken. For one thing they don't move fast enough. Have you ever watched a raccoon waddle around? No way they caught and killed your chickens.
Yes, raccoons will eat chickens ..... if they can reach thru the wire, and attract a curious/stupid chicken close enuff, they'll eat him/her piece by piece, dragging the pieces thru the wire - that's why you want to use the 18 inch tall, 1/2" chicken wire closest to the ground in your chicken pen!

I have always thrown it right on an old baking pan and put it in the chicken coop. No matter how much, it is go e within hours.

Recently read about the dog biscuits, my next batch might go toward that.

Sub'd!

We've made spent grain pizzas and am going to start making dog biscuits for a friend. I've seen the Brooklyn recipe list before, but a lot of them called for spent grain flower, which just seems like a PITA to make. Do you guys make the flower or follow some other process?

:confused:
Sub'd!

[A] lot of them called for spent grain flower, which just seems like a PITA to make.

7 steps, and 6 of them are involved with drying the spent grain or storage, which are things that would need to be done whether you're making the flour or not:

Whether you're making waffles, cheddar crackers, pretzel rolls, or handmade pasta, spent grain flour can add a complex warmth and nuttiness to some of your tried and true dishes. Here's how to make it:

1.Set your oven to the lowest setting possible. For most ovens this is 170-200 degrees Fahrenheit.

2.Spread out your spent grain on a clean, ungreased sheet pan in a thin 1/4 inch layer.

3.Place in oven and let dry for approximately 7 hours. Alternately, a food dehydrator works as well.

4.4 hours into drying, pull out barley and toss to mix with a spoon.

5.Drying time may vary depending on your environment or oven. Your barley is dry when you feel absolutely no moisture remaining.

6.Using a coffee or spice grinder, process dried spent grain until it becomes a fine flour.

7.Store your spent grain flour in an airtight jar or plastic container in your pantry.

Seems easy enough to me?

I dry the spent grains in a 200F oven, turning about once an hour till dry & fluffy. Cool & store in zip lock gallon bags marked for the beer they ere used in. I then use a Mr. Coffee burr grinder on the finest espresso setting to make flour. The burr grinder is about 40 bucks.

Back