Keezer Corrosion Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patter98

Reaction score
All,

I finished building my Keezer little over a week ago. The first couple days i had tons of moisture in it till i siliconed all the collar joints and a few other places. The moisture is down a ton now and i have two tubs of damp rid in it but i still appear to have a serious issue because my regulator and coupler are corroding like crazy and its only been a week!

What do you guys suggest and how to clean all that corrosion off?

Thank you all,
Justin

photo 1-3.jpg

photo 2-1.jpg

P19723700.jpg

All,

I just realized in some readings that the silicone i applied might have done this. Appearently when it cures it produces Acetic Acid Vapors which is really corrosive to metals when mixed with moisture. I think i created the perfect environment for it cause i applied the silicone a couple days after i fired it up....

Any thoughts on this? Should i shut it down and vent the crap out of it?

Thanks,
Justin

Thats a new one on me but if it is from the silicone then Id shut it down and open the lid until the silicone cures. Shouldnt take more than 24-48 hours.

The silicone should be cured by now, so just air it out quickly with a fan or something. To clean off the corrosion wipe/scrub a mild acid (diluted vinegar, star-san, etc) and then wipe everything down with clean water a couple of times to rinse, and then rag dry.

The silicone should be cured by now, so just air it out quickly with a fan or something. To clean off the corrosion wipe/scrub a mild acid (diluted vinegar, star-san, etc) and then wipe everything down with clean water a couple of times to rinse, and then rag dry.

Thanks for the advise. I have star-san so what are you talking about exactly. Mix it up in the normal concentration level (1oz to 5gallons except scaled down) or use it full strength?

Thanks guys,

Justin

Thanks for the advise. I have star-san so what are you talking about exactly. Mix it up in the normal concentration level (1oz to 5gallons except scaled down) or use it full strength?

Thanks guys,

Justin

The normal dilution should be fine.

Latest posts

Back