Blueberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efreem01

Reaction score
For my second batch i'm doing an AHS nut brown ale. For my third, i want to try and attempt this:

The recipe isn't all that descriptive, so can someone help me. I need to know a few basics, such as:

1) How much water? Enough to bring the total up to 5.5 gallons or so?
2) Generally what temps are good for the different steps? (Steep crystal malt)These are probably just rules of thumb that everyone knows. I'm a newb.
3) How long do i steep the malt for? 15 minutes?
4) morebeer has 8 different varieties of crystal malt? Which is best?

http://hbd.org/brewery/cm3/recs/08_01.html

When I tasted this during the bottling stage there was not much blueberry flavor. More blueberries may be required to give a stronger taste. The beer came out remarkably clear with a nice reddish tint.
Ingredients:
7 pounds, British amber extract
1-1/2 pounds, crystal malt
2 ounces, Northern Brewer hops (boil)
1 ounce, Fuggles hops (finish)
Whitbread ale yeast
2 pounds, fresh frozen blueberries

Procedure:
Steep crystal malt while bringing to boil. Remove grains and add extract and boiling hops. Boil 60 minutes. Add finish hops and let steep 15 minutes. Sparge into ice, mix. Rack to 7-gallon carboy. At peak of fermentation add blueberries.

Ferment 1 week and rack to secondary. Prime with corn sugar.

Specifics:
Primary Ferment: 1 week

Crystal is measured by how dark it will make your beer. 20L (lighter) 120L (darker), the different numbers are their ratings on how dark it will make the beer, cosmetic.
Usually grains are steeped at 150*F for 30 minutes. Some people put them in the water till the water reaches 170*F and take them out.

For the fruit consider letting the beer ferment without the fruit for 1 week in primary, then put the blueberries in your secondary and rack the beer over them and let sit for around 2 weeks...

For this recipe, I'd use a crystal 20L. I agree on putting the fruit in the secondary. After a week, check the flavor and add another two pound if you want.

Back