what is a good kegging system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
All three are roughly the same. I'd suggest either a tower or shank instead of the cobra tap and a bigger tank. You're usually better off piecing together your own, but any of the ones you listed would be a nice start if you want an all in one package

You don't need a bigger tank unless you plan on having a half dozen different homebrews on tap at once. I have a five-pounder with two kegs going and the tank lasted me six months. As rdwj said, you should look into piecing together your own system. Perhaps you could find a gas place that will let you just pay a deposit on a bottle of gas rather than buying one. That alone will save you $$$.

Those prices don't look too bad, but you can definitely piece it together for cheaper, particularly if you find a good deal on ebay or craigslist.

i definitely recommend larger tanks, as well as multiple tanks. the cost per pound to refill goes down drasticallyl as you get to larger tanks, 20 lb tanks are fairly common to find on craigslist, at least where i am.

the reason why i recommend multiple tanks, is that you will inevitably run out of co2 when you need it the most, and having a spare tank or two gives you flexibility for when you want to swap, and also the safety of not running out of co2.

also, as for the co2 tanks listed in the pages you posted, they are new tanks, which you are paying a premium for. you can find used tanks for a fraction of the cost. plus this way, you won't be shocked when they just take your tank and give you another used one... some places fill on site, but here in Austin, most places send off their tanks to get filled, so it may take a week or so to get the tank back filled, and mostly people just do a tank swap.

Back