Brewing With Molasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jondmn

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success brewing with molasses? I have wanted to try it doing it, but wanted to check and see what everyone's thoughts were.

90 minute boil and give those solids some time to settle. I have a stout with plenty of molasses in it been bottled about two months and solids still dropping.

It works, yeast eat parts of it and make beer. You can work with it, just do it. The 90minute boil is mostly for the byproducts of processing, just let her rip for a good 30 minutes before you do your (60) hops.

Im using some in my American Brown Ale and I know Bluffwallace on the Gluten-Free Brewers group uses it. I used Blackstrap for mine, I'm hoping it masks the sorghum flavor but it certainly added some color. I'll get back to you on the "flavor" if I notice it...Oh, mine didn't have any sulfites added either...

Molasses is a strong flavor and can be a bit strange once the sugars are gone. I wouldn't recommend using it for more than 5% of the fermentables. I did one recipe with 12 ounces and it took a long time before the flavor mellowed.

Strange is the word for it. I made an all-molasses beer once (Geroge Washington's Small Beer recipe) and it had a strong minerally taste to it. That was using regular molasses, which is more refined than blackstrap.

Strange is the word for it. I made an all-molasses beer once (Geroge Washington's Small Beer recipe) and it had a strong minerally taste to it. That was using regular molasses, which is more refined than blackstrap.

I was just about to reference that.

I've never brewed with molasses. I've brewed with sorghum molasses (the non brewing sorghum syrup) and it was weird. It'd be a little better if I didn't have carbonation problems, but it's been good for cooking. Hopefully the molasses I used in my current gf batch won't turn into 5 gallons of cooking beer.

Thanks for all of the input. I was thinking about adding it to some apple cider instead of the corn sugar I usually use to make it a little "heavier" flavor.

I would think that the Molasses Flavor would work a bit better in Cider than in Beer. I added a cup to my first batch, and at a month it still tastes a bit... weird. I don't hate the taste of it, it's just a very unique taste. It totally masks the hop flavors. Instead the bitterness and flavor comes from the molasses, which isn't sweet anymore. I've heard that the flavor mellows well over time, so I'm just letting that batch sit, but I wouldn't add more than a cup to a 5 Gallon batch. I'd probably use a half cup in the future. I also added the Molasses to a light mildly hopped ale, so the flavor of the Molasses came through strongest, those flavors might be more balanced in a darker beer like a porter, stout, barleywine etc.

Not sure exactly how much a cup of molasses is by weight, but I've used up to 1 lb of blackstrap molasses in a brown ale and it has turned out quite nice. The molasses does come through but it isn't unpleasant and have a chocolaty taste. I usually use 12 or so ounces and have had success with that. One thing to note- blackstrap is 50% fermentable and "light" molasses is about 90% fermentable.

Reference

I've used a few ounces of unsulphured molasses in a single gallon IPA (my very first batch ever) and I had the mineral taste which I didn't mind, but my brother noticed. I didn't use blackstrap (but neither did it say light). Like some other people's tests have gone, I think light will work well for darker beers. I simply used it in mine because I was trying to figure some way to make it darker, and I like molasses. I eat a few spoonfuls straight whenever I open that bottle.

I would think that the Molasses Flavor would work a bit better in Cider than in Beer. I added a cup to my first batch, and at a month it still tastes a bit... weird. I don't hate the taste of it, it's just a very unique taste. It totally masks the hop flavors. Instead the bitterness and flavor comes from the molasses, which isn't sweet anymore. I've heard that the flavor mellows well over time, so I'm just letting that batch sit, but I wouldn't add more than a cup to a 5 Gallon batch. I'd probably use a half cup in the future. I also added the Molasses to a light mildly hopped ale, so the flavor of the Molasses came through strongest, those flavors might be more balanced in a darker beer like a porter, stout, barleywine etc.

I recently had a comercial cider with molasses in it. I wouldn't say it was bad, but it wasn't my thing. I personally would only add molassess to a dark beer so that I can get the color, some unfermentable sugars and hopfully have some of the moasses flavor covered up by the roasted grains..

/raises hand

None of the 19th century sources I've found mention *boiling* the molasses -- just draining your wort on it while it's still hot. A modern brewer would simply heat up the molasses a bit to make it runny, dump it in the bucket, and drain the cooled wort on it. Same effect.

Doesn't anyone think that maybe treating molasses like the mead people treat honey (no boil, just dump it in primary) might give better results? Or were our ancestors all idiots who enjoyed beer that tasted like a mineral vitamin supplement?

Speaking of brewing with molasses... I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on the beginning recipe in this thread (Thomas Jefferson Ale).
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/thomas-jefferson-ale-94598/

From reading the entire thread I don't believe this is an authentic Thomas Jefferson recipe but it may be somewhat close to a recipe of the time. I was thinking of cutting the molasses down to about 0.5lb.

So I found this thread using the search, I was thinking of adding a portion of molasses to a Coopers Dark Ale Kit. I've been getting excellent batches since I switched to using mostly Dry Malt in place of corn sugar and was about to do this Dark Ale. I was thinking about 1000 Grams of Malt and 1 cup of Molasses ( guess the light is best ) what ya all think?

Is there a difference between these two sorghums (molasses vs malt)? I have eaten sorghum molasses growing up and then brewed with sorghum malt. Essentially they taste the same to me. I have done some internet searching but not found the right search combo to get an answer. Just wondering if any of you might know? :mug:

I think they have pretty much become synonyms... but don't quote me on that... I know that things made locally here in the southeast are labelled molasses...but it is a temperate climate...

Papazian says sorghum is made from sweet sorghum, grown in temperate climates... but says use it like molasses...

wiki:
"Sweet sorghum syrup is called "molasses" or "sorghum molasses" in some regions of the U.S., but the term molasses more properly refers to a different sweet syrup, made as a byproduct of the sugarcane or sugar beet production."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_sorghum

So I found this thread using the search, I was thinking of adding a portion of molasses to a Coopers Dark Ale Kit. I've been getting excellent batches since I switched to using mostly Dry Malt in place of corn sugar and was about to do this Dark Ale. I was thinking about 1000 Grams of Malt and 1 cup of Molasses ( guess the light is best ) what ya all think?

go for it... no harm will be done... and it makes alcohol... it's really a win/win....

Sorghum molasses is the traditionally known process, where they squeeze sorghum cane and boil down the liquid. Somewhat similar to the process of sugar cane.

Sorghum syrup used for brewing (from briess) is different. This type of syrup is created by enzymaticlly processing sorghum grain. Usually white sorghum.

I've brewed two batches using sorghum molasses as my fermentable and so far both are terrible. I may try again one day but up the IBUs to make it an IPA. The hops may mask the sorghum better in higher quantities. Though when using just sorghum molasses it turns into more of a hopped mead.

I tried making a gluten free beer for my wife without doing any research... it was mostly sorghum molasses with some honey... 2 weeks after bottling it still tasted like the **** coming out of a blow-off tube on a high gravity highly hopped stout...

It still hasn't cleared completely... but I am going to age it for a while and see... been a few months already...

I think as long as you don't add more than .5-1lb in a 5-6 gallon batch, the flavor should not be negatively effected (unless you don't like molasses)... I've only used it about 3 times... so I am no expert.

I have been using it in my little 3-gallon stovetop batches to good effect. My first was with 22oz amber DME, 8 oz of molasses, 8 oz demerera, and Chinook as the bittering hop. That was a nice combination, and it has repeated well. Obviously this is not gluten free, but I imagine swapping sorghum as the base malt won't be too harmful to the flavor, and I intend to follow up this winter with it to see if it's true.

For my new batch I dumped a full pound in and switched up the bittering hop to Centennial. Will let you know how it turns out--primary fermentation is just winding down.

Just as an FYI, I brewed a gluten free molasses base malt extract (aka syrup) and it worked out nicely in the end. Good things come to those who wait. I gave it plenty of time in the process. I took it to a festival in September and it was like a shot of liquor, like a fist going down the throat. Then I took the same batch to a festival in October and it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. That one extra month really made an awesome difference. Don't recall the exact length of time from process to October but I say sample and if it is too strong then wait it out. For me it was well worth the wait.

I have good molasses, yeast, ferment vesel. What else do i need for home brew?

I found these "Old-Time" molasses recipes in book my mother-in-law gave me, then found the book online - http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Old-Time_Recipes_for_Home_Made_Wines_Cordials_and_Liqueurs

MOLASSES BEER
One ounce hops, one gallon water. Boil for ten minutes, strain, add one pound molasses, and when lukewarm, add one spoonful yeast. Ferment.
*** I have this beer fermenting now, 2 days. I assume Molasses is 100% fermentables, so Ill need to stop fermentation or back sweeten. I used a whole 16 fl oz bottle = 1.5lb of Golding Farms unsulfered Molasses. and stole some 05 yeast out of a ale batch. I used some old frozen Hersbrucker Hops

Other recipes from 1909 book:

Cheap and Agreeable Table Beer
Take four and one-half gallons of water and boil one half, putting the other into a barrel; add the boiling water to the cold with one quart of molasses and a little yeast. Keep the bung-hole open until fermentation ceases.

HOP BEER
Turn five quarts of water on six ounces of hops; boil three hours. Strain off the liquor; turn on four quarts more of water, and twelve spoonfuls of ginger, and boil the hops three hours longer. Strain and mix it with the other liquor, and stir in two quarts of molasses. Brown, very dry, one-half pound of bread, and put in, — rusked bread is best. Pound it fine, and brown it in a pot, like coffee. After cooling to be about luke-warm, add one pint of new yeast that is free from salt. Keep the beer covered, in a temperate situation, till fermentation has ceased, which is known by the settling of the froth; then turn it into a keg or bottles, and keep it in a cool place.

After a week, there is still as sweet molasses smell and flavor, though the iron is getting stronger. Hard to get SG because of all the impurities, hovering around 1.04. The Golding Molasses seems to be the way to go, is a First Molasses, long way from Blackstrap. I like molasses so, I call this a success.

I found these "Old-Time" molasses recipes in book my mother-in-law gave me, then found the book online - http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Old-Time_Recipes_for_Home_Made_Wines_Cordials_and_Liqueurs

MOLASSES BEER
One ounce hops, one gallon water. Boil for ten minutes, strain, add one pound molasses, and when lukewarm, add one spoonful yeast. Ferment.
*** I have this beer fermenting now, 2 days. I assume Molasses is 100% fermentables, so Ill need to stop fermentation or back sweeten. I used a whole 16 fl oz bottle = 1.5lb of Golding Farms unsulfered Molasses. and stole some 05 yeast out of a ale batch. I used some old frozen Hersbrucker Hops

Other recipes from 1909 book:

Cheap and Agreeable Table Beer
Take four and one-half gallons of water and boil one half, putting the other into a barrel; add the boiling water to the cold with one quart of molasses and a little yeast. Keep the bung-hole open until fermentation ceases.

HOP BEER
Turn five quarts of water on six ounces of hops; boil three hours. Strain off the liquor; turn on four quarts more of water, and twelve spoonfuls of ginger, and boil the hops three hours longer. Strain and mix it with the other liquor, and stir in two quarts of molasses. Brown, very dry, one-half pound of bread, and put in, — rusked bread is best. Pound it fine, and brown it in a pot, like coffee. After cooling to be about luke-warm, add one pint of new yeast that is free from salt. Keep the beer covered, in a temperate situation, till fermentation has ceased, which is known by the settling of the froth; then turn it into a keg or bottles, and keep it in a cool place.

This is a great read! Not only is the "olde tyme" language usage a good laugh but the recipes are jaw dropping. Take for example this:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page:...Home_Made_Wines_Cordials_and_Liqueurs.djvu/41

I cannot believe someone actually made beer from a chicken! All the jokes aside about a "Cock Ale" (and they could be endless) I would think this, a beer made chicken, would be absolutely terrible, but a local brewery here did an oyster stout that I hear is quite nice so maybe a chicken beer would be OK. That said, I won't be parboiling a chicken and racking beer on top of him in secondary anytime soon! LOL

p.s. sorry, we've officially veered off the molasses topic here!!

I was attempting Kombucha and I guess I left it out too long. It came out like beer (kinda like stout). Can't tell the difference really...
Just blackstrap molasses and kombucha (green tea or something with some caffein) with starter culture and leave it out for like 2-3 weeks in 70-80F.

Back