What's your occupation: Engineer or Non-Engineer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your occupation

• Engineer

• Non-Engineer

Results are only viewable after voting.
Systems engineer with a degree in computer science and engineering. But, learned about homebrewing from my brother, who went to school for psychology...

I am an auto technician for a Toyota dealer, so I just make fun of all the dumb ways engineers design things with no care in the world how we're supposed to fix it :p

But cooking was my first job and one of my great loves...Anytime I can make something and consume it, it is a good day.

Degree in Industrial Distribution, College of Engineering TAMU '09. Been working though for the past 10 years in IT . . . . so it all works out.

Both my parents are engineers, and I studied electrical engineering for two years before I decided to study music. I now work as a systems software technician for a dallas arts consortium.

It's becoming obvious from this poll and people's descriptions of their jobs that the word "Engineer" has become a one size fits all term designed to make ordinary jobs look more interesting.

The official title of my first job I had after I finished my carpentry an joinery apprenticeship was "After sales service engineer".........I fixed leaky windows and replaced bad double glazed units. :eek:

Nope.

I like to cook and I'm not afraid of hand tools, power tools, and building stuff. I have no issues fixing anything mechanical or making something as long as I have tools and an idea of how to do it.

Educated as an engineer.

Hated living my life in a cubicle.

Now I am in management basically, as a captain.

Except I get to travel.

M.E. from the University of Idaho, but now doing 3D animation... still use the degree from time-to-time!

Graduating with a MS in Chemical Engineering in 12 days as well as some graduate courses in fermentation science!!! Mainly focus in Micro and Nanoscience. But, yes i am an engeineer! Geeks FTW! haha, had to say it. I really should add 5 more check marks of the other chem engineers that I know that brew.

6 Months away from economics / political science BS from Northwestern University. All you engineers are giving me serious nerd envy.

Im a people person. And while I dont take the info directly from the engineers to the customers (my secretary does that), I do ensure that everything has a TPS cover sheet on it.

Deputy Sheriff....

But, I've written plenty of engineers tickets if that counts.

No engineering degree here, but I work for soils engineers.

Does a BA in Music make me a Musical Engineer?

Supply chain manager in the oil-business.

Daily, I droole over nice expensive stainless-steel equipment that could be utilized in a brewery...

Bio-medical equipment maintenance technician also been called an electronics engineer Army 96-06, army civilian 08 to present.

Not an engineer, but a frustrated one.

MChem Chemistry Heriot-Watt 2005. Being put to good use making hombrew starsan since the stuff is so bloody hard to find in the UK!.

Nearly there for the trial by brewing. Just need to address the seperation issue and I'm golden!

Working on a Ph.D. in theology. Not an engineer. Definitely a geek. Just a liberal arts sort of geek. My dad and several family members are engineers, so I have an ingrained "figure it out and do it yourself" ethic.

There are so many fields that are "kind of" engineering. Take Computer Science. Is that engineering or not? You've got network engineers, software engineers, etc. Then of course, there's Computer Engineering. Does that even qualify? ;)

FYI, I voted yes - working on a PhD in Comp Sci. I figured it was closer to engineer than "not engineer". :D

... the word "Engineer" has become a one size fits all term designed to make ordinary jobs look more interesting...

EE, Villanova '92. I am one of the few engineers I know that actually designs stuff (I do mostly medical electronics. embedded firmware, etc.). I got pretty lucky out of school to jump right into design and forever avoid mgmt.

Back