Surly anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
Anyone outside of Minnesota had/tried/sampled any offering from this brewer? It has gotten a strong following here in the great north. Furious is one of my favorite beers, even one of the local LHSB has a clone for us. Surly Fest is also a dry hop heaven for me. Drinking a coffee bender right now, little to much coffee for me, but fun to drink anyways.
Did a search, did not come up with much for a return. May not be available around the country???
Thanks

I have heard that Surly is a great beer, sadly, I have yet to get my hands on any and I have been trying. I will be in IA over the summer, maybe then. If not I will have to wait to find someone to trade.

Is that a hint? I would hope they have it in Iowa, well it might be tough to find with all Miller/Bud/Coors that is consumed down there. I know it has made it to Chicago.

I did my undergrad in Ames and there was a great beer store in the town. I plan on hitting them up. It should have made it to Iowa...I hope!

From the Surly site:

Where do you guys distribute your beer?
At the moment, we only sell our beer in the Twin Cities area, Duluth, MN area and Chicago. That is it. If you live somewhere else and want our beer, you're gonna have to come and get it.

Guess it isn't in Iowa :(.

SWMBO brought some Surly home from Minneapolis last time she went there for work. Surly Furious is an amazingly good pale ale. Some of the best hop character ever. I tried Surly Darkness on tap at the Map Room in Chicago and liked it, but my friend didn't like it (said it smelled like malt extract).

I've had Surly's Furious at a restaurant in Liberytville, IL called Firkin. Good beer, but didn't blow my socks off.

I've had Surly's Furious at a restaurant in Liberytville, IL called Firkin. Good beer, but didn't blow my socks off.

Great bar, I love Firkin! They have the Furious there pretty regularly, and last time I was in they had the Surly Bender cask!

So being a Minneapolis resident/brewer/beer lover I have a love for surly that my friends hate cause it directs up to bars that have surly. Or ill only go to bars that have surly. Last year they brewed only 10,000 barrels of thier beer. Omar(the owner/brewer) Does a majority of the delivering of the beer to bars and beer stores. The list for stores to get surly is at least 74 (thats the number the beer store is by my place). He is working with distributers to get it else where(other states).

Bender is a wonderful Brown Ale. Furious is a great IPA. Darkness which only comes out from Halloween till its gone(which is two weeks) is a Russian Imperial Stout and yes Its thick sweet and very strong. 10.9% ABV Coffee Bender is a Coffee Brown Ale

So unless you can get here I suggest having a friend send you some. I usually have a corny on tap here at the house along with my stuff.

I had a Surly on tap at Small Bar on Division in Chicago over a year ago. I forget the style-it was RISesque. I remeber they had a 2 glass limit due to the high ABV. Thought that was kind of unnecessary.

They have the Surly Furious on tap at Uncommon Ground in Chicago. Its pretty tasty imho.

The wife & I are spending the afternoon at The Map Room tomorrow and they have Surly [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Oak-Aged Bender on cask. I plan to have one! It's described as: [/FONT]
a smooth, creamy American brown ale with the usual complex malt base but with some smokiness and whiskey character.

Back