Interested in moving to Portland in a few years, want to make connections

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firestorm117

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Lurked around here for a while, usually looking for clone recipes. Got in the mood to look for a place to talk w/ homebrewers in the Portland area as I hope to move there in a few years and remembered I've got this account.

So reaching out now to kinda get that connection established. Sup' everyone? :mug:

So 'bout me, I'm a bit of a Colorado guy displaced into NC and been stuck here for too long. My wife and I want to eventually move out that way since we're kinda into that sorta crazy diy crowd. I've been homebrewing for coming on 4 years now I think? Only started getting really adventerous this year with it and doing all grain and making my own recipes now. I've got grandeous plans of brewpub ownership at some point in my future, but right now we're kinda making our way through the middle class rung of life right now to make the move happen.

So any hombrewers in that area got any advice/tidbits about the area?

:tank:

I moved to Portland 17 years ago from Georgia and never looked back. I still love Georgia but Oregon has so much to see and do. An amazing coast, the gorge, and an hour or so from Portland you are in the desert. And so many local breweries you could have a different beer everyday and I think it would take years to have the same beer twice. Watch Portlandia, it is not far off from the truth. Or Grimm... No monsters here and hardly any serious crime but the show does show some of great places around here.

If I were moving to Portland I'd start by checking in at the lhbs for local clubs. Personally I'd start at Main Street Brew in Hillsboro, because they have awesome prices!

I moved to Portland 17 years ago from Georgia and never looked back. I still love Georgia but Oregon has so much to see and do. An amazing coast, the gorge, and an hour or so from Portland you are in the desert. And so many local breweries you could have a different beer everyday and I think it would take years to have the same beer twice. Watch Portlandia, it is not far off from the truth. Or Grimm... No monsters here and hardly any serious crime but the show does show some of great places around here.

Yea Portlandia was one of those ackward comedies I couldn't get into, but I could get that feel for the weird that just feels right to me lol.

About the 'crime', I was looking on Trulia and it looks like Beaverton and west is really safe, but it looks like the east and north are kinda high on the heat maps. Whats your experience with that? Houses out in that area seem pretty pricey and dunno how much we'll have at that time to buy a house out there (renting doesn't seem to be an option since we'll have several animals w/ us.)

Also 30+ taps? Man, my local beer shops get maybe 12 rotating taps at most. Pretty nice still, but I preffer drinking in those than at a bar since they're alot quieter and calmer. I'll make a note of all the places and links you guys recommend. Thanks again! :fro:

I went to school in SE Portland and wouldn't say it's bad at all. The area they call Felony Flats was still quiet...we used to joke about houses blowing up due to the meth cook labs though. Actually, the infamous Hair of the Dog brewery lives here.

The area you want to steer clear of is 82nd street (way east) where prostitution and crime runs high.

North Portland is artsy and hip from what I hear...haven't been back in a while.

Where is "Felony flats"? And I'll keep in mind about 82nd st. Will also check out North Portland.

What would be a good quiet neighborhood do you think? less urban and more suburban?

Where is "Felony flats"? And I'll keep in mind about 82nd st. Will also check out North Portland.

What would be a good quiet neighborhood do you think? less urban and more suburban?

It was used loosely but South of Woodstock blvd.

If you want suburbs then head to Beaverton. But you'll miss many of the wonderful things in Portland proper. Housing is cheap so you can get a decent (Victorian style) house with a nice backyard, big porch, basement, etc

Yea I just saw a place on Hayden Island for $140k. Real nice looking too. Was like "What the f? That looks better than any place I can get in Raleigh!"

Will definitely keep that in mind too. We kinda eventually want a few acres and things like a flower and veggie garden, animal rescue, second house for my parents, and physical/martial arts training areas. Lofty dreams but something also near a major city we like. But first is moving and establishing ourselves haha. So we like the peace and quiet yet easy access to everything we want. Don't mind driving somewhere.

Yea I just saw a place on Hayden Island for $140.

We kinda eventually want a few acres and things like a flower and veggie garden, animal rescue, second house for my parents, and physical/martial arts training areas.

This is very easily attained, for that price.

The problem with Portland is Unemployment - it's a piss poor job market. All the industry is in Beaverton (see Nike HQ, Linux, Comcast, etc). So just make sure you are secure before you move out there and you're good. Good luck!

I went to school in SE Portland and wouldn't say it's bad at all. The area they call Felony Flats was still quiet...we used to joke about houses blowing up due to the meth cook labs though. Actually, the infamous Hair of the Dog brewery lives here.

The area you want to steer clear of is 82nd street (way east) where prostitution and crime runs high.

North Portland is artsy and hip from what I hear...haven't been back in a while.

I grew up in felony flats. North of Johnson creek blvd. up near Flavel Ave. where abouts did you grow up? I attended Milwaukie HS. Till 83'

Groutgauss

I grew up in felony flats N of Johnson creek blvd. Near Flavel ave. haven't been there in years and no desire to go back. Moved out in 1983. When were u in that area?

Groutgauss

I grew up in felony flats N of Johnson creek blvd. Near Flavel ave. haven't been there in years and no desire to go back. Moved out in 1983. When were u in that area?

Dixon, that's madness! I used to hangout by Johnson creek all the time and bike along the bike path. I lived in several places from 39th to 52nd while I was going to Reed.

Haven't been back since 2007...I miss the NW

So another question: any interesting brewpubs? Also perhaps any video game bars? I'm imagining since I've heard more people in Portland drink craft than macro anymore that finding good beer at most places won't be a problem.

So another question: any interesting brewpubs? Also perhaps any video game bars? I'm imagining since I've heard more people in Portland drink craft than macro anymore that finding good beer at most places won't be a problem.

There is no short supply of great craft beer anywhere in the northwest. But you can still slum it as well...I drank plenty of PBR while I was there.

Some great brewpubs in the area include Deschutes, Hopworks, Basecamp, Commons (no food), Amnesia, Widmer bros, and the infamous Rogue.

Can't go wrong dude

Thing with Hayden Island is getting on and off the island can be a pain and you are right under the flight path of PDX. But if you have a boat it is a good place to be.

Good to know. Not really interested in that location. Just thought that was pretty friggin cool.

Back