What system would you buy/build with $2000?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd-santaclarita

Reaction score
Assuming it had to be very compact and "pretty"..?

The reason I ask is because I am rebuilding my cobbled together 3 vessel single tier system of keggles/coolers its in shambles as we moved. I want to go all electric. So heres why I ask: I showed my wife the video of the Speidel Braumeister a couple weeks ago and said it was too expensive but kinda cool. I went on my merry way to build a single-vessel-biab-electric setup and ordered an 82qt bayou pot...It showed up last night...She says "really..you are buying more ugly crap....why dont you just buy that nice one and be done!" It came up yet again today....I feel like I'm getting pressured from my non-brew-savvy-beer-hating-wife to buy a nice expensive brew setup!!

So I know there are some goods and bads with the speidel...I havent researched it enough to know the details though. I usually do 5 or 10g batches and would like to continue that. 10g would prob be my norm, unless its a big beer.

So I'm not wondering if there are some good options for a compact electric brewery that would give me flexibility as well as meet the wife-pretty factor (aka...contained/hidden into a 1 or 2 vessels without a mass of tubes/wires/ghetto-equipment sprawled everywhere).

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I dont want to miss my window here :)

Thanks all,
JD

To me...building the system and tweaking it as time goes by is a lot of the fun and entertainment value. I like a single tier 3 vessle, 2 pump, all electric that if you spend the money right makes for a really nice setup. Maybe start with 2 vessles to get in under $2k and move on from there.

Buying the system just isn't fun for me.

I'd do a similar system as dtfeld suggests, using a 1-wire control network, 20 gallon Megapots from Northern Brewer, a slightly modified false bottom from Blichmann (the 30 gallon one fits almost perfectly in those kettles from NB), at least one peristaltic pump, and a plate chiller. A modular shelving system like the Gorilla Rack makes a great stand for an electric rig (simple, inexpensive, not too aesthetically displeasing). Sink the investment into the brew rig and skip the fancy fermenters for now. If you have any leftover cash, use it to start construction on a cold room/fermentation closet.

That's pretty close to the rig I already have, but with your budget, I could really soup it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take the assertion that one cannot create some bling starting with a Bayou Classic 82 gallon pot as a personal affront, and build a recirculating BIAB system, with a 5500W 240V ULWD heating element, a control panel with a single PID to control the element, a timer, and a pump on/off switch. I would also incorporate a hand winch on a "gallows" (or hanging from the ceiling) to raise and suspend the bag. Throw in a set of kettle liquid return attachments that can be swapped out for recirculating during the mash, whirlpooling after the boil, and cleaning-in-place, and a 2-inch bottom drain bottom-center for draining, and I think we would be getting close.

If you really want to appease the wife put together a reasonably well-finished wooden stand, and perhaps even enclose the kettle with wine-barrel staves with the same finish.

How's that, lol?

Oh man..Yuri_rage...you just blew my mind. I had no idea about the 1-wire network control option...I've been working on my linux/python skills lately...this is so timely as it would be awesome to have a linux powered brewery..I'm not sure what hw i need to buy to make that happen though, time to check it out. Jeffmeh - I may still go with the 82q bayou pot(s) depending on what direction I go. Nice stainless pots...always look fancy to me :)

Thanks for the info..very helpful.
-JD

Do the research and you will be building a Kal clone using Keggles. Seeing as you already have 2 keggles, all you would need is 1 more and the parts to build the control panel and a nice brew stand and the other odds and ends. Others have done it and the ones who polished their keggles really sets them apart. After building a Kal clone myself I think you can do it for a round $2000 if you do it all your self and are good with basic electricity. If you buy something for $2000 you will get a nice system but not get $2000 worth, your probably paying close to 40% for labor. Your a home brewer and everyone knows home brewing is a labor of love of what you create, so why not build a much better kick as system that even the wife would say WOW.

If you build it, She will come!:ban:

Someone a while back built an e-brewery using two Blichmann kettles on and entertainment center. It looked really nice! I can't find the thread for it now. Maybe someone else remembers it.

Skip the Blichmann kettles, IMHO. You'll blow your whole budget on those alone, and they're not THAT special. However, I do really like the Blichmann false bottom.

Skip the Blichmann kettles, IMHO. You'll blow your whole budget on those alone, and they're not THAT special. However, I do really like the Blichmann false bottom.

I agree! It was more the setup that I found impressive. Still can't find the thread. :(

Yuri, could you tell me about your kettles? I noticed that they are copper colored. Did you have them coated/plated?

Yuri_Rage said:

I fit a 30 gallon blinkman false in my 60$ al 20 gallon pot. Much cheaper than blinkman.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

Someone a while back built an e-brewery using two Blichmann kettles on and entertainment center. It looked really nice! I can't find the thread for it now. Maybe someone else remembers it.

P1030824.JPG

It's The Pol's brew rig.

Wow...that entertainment center rig is nice looking. I'd be scared to drip hot wort all over it.. On the other hand..brewing in the living room would be pretty awesome :)

-JD

IMHO the Pol's rig was more bling and wow than needed for any brewery. Sure it looks nice, but so does a commerative gun that you will never use.

Two vessel rims setup. If I were to rebuild a rid I think this is what I'd do, two 15 gallon keggles or a pair of 60-80qt stock pots, but keep my 5 gallon mash tun for low gravity stuff. Single PID control of the rims tube, potentiometer style control for the kettle element. chances are it'll keep your costs well below 2 thousand even if you purchased a pair of pretty nice stainless pots.

Back