Brewmasters - Television Show

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
I just watched the first 4 episodes on youtube. I'm left wondering what the hell happened. Why didn't this series make it? The production quality was there. I'm scratching my head.....

As far as I know, ratings weren't the problem. A certain big-name brewery took offense at the free publicity that DFH was getting from the show and threatened to pull their advertising money unless Discovery Channel cancelled the program.

I don't know. I LOVE Sam Calgione, and think he's a super guy. But I couldn't make it through even one entire episode as it just didn't hold my interest and I thought it was pretty stupid (even for TV!). I'm not surprised it's gone.

I thought they dumbed down the brewing science in the first episode and then proceeded to reiterate the same explanation in every subsequent episode. I realize the homebrewing viewers would be more knowledgable than most, but it would've been nice to start basic and then get more in-depth from there...might have helped get more people into the hobby.

I've finished watching all six epsisodes. I have to say I really did enjoy all of them.

I believe the audience that shows like this and Brew Dogs are going after are the craft beer drinkers, and not home brewers. So if they "dumb down" the brewing process, it's explainable when you consider that most people haven't got a clue about how beer is made.

I'd like to see it back on the air... fat chance I suppose.

I would like to see each season feature a new Brewery and/or a new host. Sam was great but he shouldn't get all of the free advertising. Lets hear from some one else now.

I miss the show and wish it would come back even it was "dumbed down" the avg. person is dumb....lol

I would like to see each season feature a new Brewery and/or a new host. Sam was great but he shouldn't get all of the free advertising. Lets hear from some one else now.

I miss the show and wish it would come back even it was "dumbed down" the avg. person is dumb....lol

I absolutely agree. I think it would have been a better show if they would have profiled more than one brewery. But Sam is a personality.

I absolutely agree. I think it would have been a better show if they would have profiled more than one brewery. But Sam is a personality.

I think I might have mentioned that I LOVE Sam. :D

He's smart, good looking, innovative, and well, incredibly good looking. And he is also a super nice guy, very friendly, and is down to earth with a great sense of humor. I think very highly of him. He's been very genial when I've talked with him, but I"m sort of a babbling idiot because he's so good looking. He said "Hi!" I said, "um, oh, um, you know, oh, Hi!". He said, "Would you like a beer?" I said, "um, oh, um, beer?" like I had never heard of beer before in my life. I'm incapable of any sort of intelligent speech when he's close by- he's that hot!!!!! :rockin:

Even so, as much as I like him, I didn't like the show. My husband liked it less than I did. I'm not sure of a good fix, as I don't think it was Sam that was the problem. I don't think you'd find a better person who has all those characteristics- but the show itself was what was flawed in my opinion.

Calagione is lame. He is so full of himself. Every show had a shot of him strolling through some town square, talking about how he loved a place, posing like he was reminiscing about the wonders of a native culture. It was so staged and artificial. His Belgian friend makes the beer anyway, not him. And he was never there to handle the work of the brewery - he was on vacation! He is businessman, good at marketing and sales; not a brewer.

His book sucked too.

He said frequently on the show that they made beers and used ingredients that 'were never made or used before'. Bull****. Maybe it has been a while since some ingredient was popular, but there is nothing that hasn't been put in beer before. If he wasn't just selling beer, he wouldn't make that claim.

He said he was the first person to put maple syrup in a beer, in their Pumpkin Ale. What?!? Absolute rubbish.

Sam does indeed help brew the beer. Hell,most of the ideas for his beers are his. & some of the exotic middle eastern spices,etc that he uses in some of them haven't been used in beer before,or not for several thousand years. So don't be so judgmental of Sam. He's not a small scale brewer anymore than can spend 90% of his time on brewing. He has other resposibilities nowadays to add to things.

He is super nice, I don't find him as sexy as Yooper. (that's him on the left, lol)

But spit beer- if we're trying to make craft beer popular, how about we talk about maybe a nice rasberry beer first?!

Sam.jpg

My problem with the show is it was a freakin reality show likeev ery other trash show on tv. Every episode hadso me major deadline that eould make or break the brewery. Oooooh will they make it out of this one?!?! Stay tuned to see if.the dynamic.duo have finally.met their match!!

It was too much reality tv show staged/faked deadlines drama, etc. I wish they had spent more time on the actual brewing process and recipes and maybe got to know some of the people working there.

My favorite part was when Sam used 5 year old 120 Minute as the standard for future batches of 120 minute. "Yes, after 5 years THIS is the taste I wanted it to have!"

I can understand where Yooper is coming from though. I've watched shows just for the hot chicks.

Hmmm...maybe us brewtubers need another good show on youtube..."Yoopervision"! Could prove interesting,like her version of craigtube or other.

That would be awesome! It could have theme episodes, like one episode that's dedicated to S&M and another one that's styled after Red Green...

This has potential!

""Green IPA is peo-plllleee"! lolz Instead of a fan dancer,a keg dancer...Or just brew that awsome beer we hear about so much about...in a muslin hop & grain bag bikini...;):rockin::ban:

I couldn't make it through even one entire episode as it just didn't hold my interest

Really?!? I just discovered this show and I'm working my way through the episodes a little out of order, but how could you not be moved when they had to dump $500,000 worth of 120 Minute IPA down the drain?? I was crying!

I saw that,it was def a big ouch in the wallet. I like the one about the Egyptian beer as well. The spice markets over there would be really interesting to walk through.

My problem with the show is it was a freakin reality show likeev ery other trash show on tv. Every episode hadso me major deadline that eould make or break the brewery. Oooooh will they make it out of this one?!?! Stay tuned to see if.the dynamic.duo have finally.met their match!!

^^You need to fix your. gra.mer/ & . pronunskiashkon there fella...:drunk:

Never drink and blog, good thing there's an edit button.

Really?!? I just discovered this show and I'm working my way through the episodes a little out of order, but how could you not be moved when they had to dump $500,000 worth of 120 Minute IPA down the drain?? I was crying!

Really? $500,000. I think you need to go back to that episode. It's been a while, but I heard a number around $10,000 to $15,000. You couldn't survive losing that kind of money. Even $10k is a lot.

Cheers

Really? $500,000. I think you need to go back to that episode. It's been a while, but I heard a number around $10,000 to $15,000.

I just watched it last night, I'm fairly certain they said $500k. I'll double check tonight if I think of it. But it's believeable, in my opinion. They said they use 5 times the grain, 20 times the hops, and far more hours taking up space in the fermenters for a batch of 120.

You couldn't survive losing that kind of money. Even $10k is a lot.

For Dogfish Head? Aren't they a multi-million dollar craft brewery? Wikipedia says their capacity is 175k bbl/year, that's 5.5 million gallons, or 44 million pints. Even if they only make $0.10 on each pint, that's still $4.4 million.

I imagine it hurts, but I don't think it would break them (unless, of course, it happened often).

I just saw this recently, my girlfriend saw the series in Netflix and recommended it.

If I remember correctly the batch would've been worth 500k to sell...

I wonder what it actually cost them in ingredients and man hours? Probably closer to that 10-15k figure? Still a lot of $ to dump down the drain! I also wonder how "off" it really tasted.

On a separate note, other than Brew Dogs are there any other beer shows?

I just saw this recently, my girlfriend saw the series in Netflix and recommended it.

If I remember correctly the batch would've been worth 500k to sell...

I wonder what it actually cost them in ingredients and man hours? Probably closer to that 10-15k figure? Still a lot of $ to dump down the drain! I also wonder how "off" it really tasted.

On a separate note, other than Brew Dogs are there any other beer shows?
It's been a while since I've watched the episode, but it seems to me it wasn't an 'off' taste, it was a stalled/stuck fermentation they couldn't get restarted.

Edit: and 2 minutes of Google-fu says otherwise. It didn't match their standards for 120 minute - but it does kind of sound like they blended it with something else and served it out of their brewpub at the time.

I remember they went back to the drawing board tasting past years vintages and brainstorming fixing the recipe. The ferm/yeast issue was a diff episode with the one that had grape juice in it (I don't remember the name of the beer).

What confused me was if you have a recipe dialed in, I don't know why you'd change much from year to year anyway. Maybe you need to change some things on availability but I wouldn't think the changes/process would be so drastically altered even over the course of a few years...

Either way I found the show interesting!

Back