One line "Ooops"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, just in time. I dropped a glass carboy full of oxyclean on friday. My first carboy breakage since I started brewing...so I guess I had it coming.

Cheesefood said:
Killed a portion of my lawn dumping sanitizer and hot wort on it. Oops!

Hey, at least you HAVE a lawn. We haven't had real rain in about 2 months, and we're under drought restrictions so we can't water. Result: dead grass. :(

Most recent and biggest oops was thinking I could pull off a 5 gallon allgrain batch with my 4 gallon boil size. Ooooops!

Turned the valve on the bottling bucket before hooking up the tube. Stared at the beer puddle for 10 sec or so before I realized. :confused: Ooops.

Had my spigot open when i started to siphon into my bottling bucket. What's worse is as soon as I got the siphon going, I ran outside to check on the smoker. Came back to a kitchen floor of Apfelwein! Only loast about 2 gallons.

Cheesefood said:
Killed a portion of my lawn dumping sanitizer and hot wort on it. Oops!

guilty, but I had the output end of my immersion chiller sitting in the lawn.

oops

talleymonster said:
Had my spigot open when i started to siphon into my bottling bucket. What's worse is as soon as I got the siphon going, I ran outside to check on the smoker. Came back to a kitchen floor of Apfelwein! Only loast about 2 gallons.
Ya, did that once too.

Had cooler on stove for mash......accidently turned on a burner without knowing.....heard a sound and thought cooler was leaking...lifted cooler....no leak but plastic on fire.......Big OOOOOOOOOOOOOpppps!!!!!!!!!!

Cooler was okay to finish the job. Stove is now clean.

Braid assembly fell off my bulkhead fitting during my first ever mash on Saturday. Oops.

Chimone said:
guilty, but I had the output end of my immersion chiller sitting in the lawn.

oops

Done that, alright.

Even worse was when I had not drained my immersion chiller. I dropped it in the boiling wort and water in it boiled out through the exhaust hose that was hanging near my shin. I would up with a blister about 4 inches long and about an inch wide on my shin. Not smart.

TL

Left a poppett valve out of a beer out post. Found out when I hooked 30 psi to it for force carbing.

Had to hold a 200 degree copper line while the wife installed a hose clamp on the counterflow chiller that I didn't think I would need.

Told a little white lie to the wife this weekend and got caught. She didn't think it was white. OOPS!

Edit and Crap - I thought this was generic oops not only beer oriented. Whatever I thought I'd share :)

Measured my gravity while the wort was hot and calculated a poor efficiency. Used the same poor efficiency in my calculations for my next batch and used far more grain than was needed for the recipe. oops!

DesertBrew said:
Told a little white lie to the wife this weekend and got caught. She didn't think it was white. OOPS!

Edit and Crap - I thought this was generic oops not only beer oriented. Whatever I thought I'd share :)

We'll forgive you under one condition.

You've got to tell us what the little lie was, so we can all assess how white it was using the SRM scale :D.

Followed the directions that came with the kit when I made my first batch :)

Shut the spigot on my fermenter while holding the hose up. Spigot has drain hole. Hose drained on jeans.

Went to dump a 5 gallon bucket of sanitizer down the drain after brewing, sanitizer hit an empty bowl that was used for grain then about 2 gallons shot out of the sink all over my floor. My floor is now sanitized...

the_bird said:
We'll forgive you under one condition.

You've got to tell us what the little lie was, so we can all assess how white it was using the SRM scale :D.

Ok, I think it was three white lies over the weekend. 1st, a backgrounder. She hurt/has a bad back (spine L3/L4) and I had to do pretty much all of the house cleaning.

Sat morning house cleaning
swmbo: Did you use windex on all of the glass/marble tables in the living room?
Desert: Yes dear (busted).

Sat night party (I was supposed to be DD but she wasn't really drinking)
swmbo: How many jello shots and beers did you have?
Desert: 2 & 3. Wrong she was watching & counting. It was 3 & 4. I just lost count :eek:.

Sun morning NFL at the bar and the rest of the day.
I didn't really do anything wrong but somehow guilt was set upon me as I left for the bar and then brought a buddy home and we polished off the IPA. Guess she wanted me to be more productive on Sun.

Good to be back to work!! :rockin:

While stirring the mash friday i knocked hose off of valve to false bottom. Told myself to put the hose clamps back on. On saturday I did it again, reminded myself again to put hose clamps on. Ooops

Lost my hydrometor so I couldn't measure efficiency yesterday...

Tried to "rebuild" my MLT on Saturday night and the silicon hadn't sealed so I leaked boiling water on the kitchen floor...

Had to mash in my brewpot and quickly made a manifold out of CPVC to stick in an ale pale...had the great idea to put a hop bag over it and got a stuck sparge...had to dump the grain back into the brewpot and take the bag off....

Miscalculated my mash/sparge water and ended up with 4gallons in the fermenter...

Promised too many people too little beer!

Unknowingly came into contact with poison ivy on my neck, left ear and face while harvesting my Cascade hops three weeks ago. My rash peaked just in time to fly out to New Hampshire for a wedding and to meet my future mother-in-law for the first time. Nice. :mad:

I'm still recovering.

Started to syphon the contents of my carboy into a keg and went to do something else.

Came back to remember I brew 25 litres and the keg is only 19 Litres.

Good job my floor is tiled.

i've forgotten irish moss in my last 3 batches and i don't really use secondaries.

some of my friends might complain it isn't very clear, but i don't mind so screw them :p

Was sending wort thru chiller then into carboy. Pretty easy and didnt need to be present and could clean.........wrong. Tube slipped off boiling kettle and hot wort was not making it into the chiller but onto the garage floor.

Real minor things, but I've twice stretched the limits of what "high temp" tubing really means in the context of propane flame. Saturday, I looked at the output line on my wort chiller, and saw that it was in two pieces (chiller was in the boil). Melted it clean in half, sealed up the end so I had to cut the tubing real short. Oops!

Had just built my cooler mash tun, had everything setup in a tier. Began brewing and noticed my burner was totally melting my new cooler. :mad: Have a heat shield now

Back