Brewing noble trappist next weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
It's the Noble trappist extract kit from Midwest? Anyone ever make it? Any advice, thoughts on brewing or fermenting it?

It comes with specialty grains, 6 lbs of lme, and candi sugar cubes. Never used the candi sugar before. Any special way to deal with that?

How long to ferment? How long to bottle condition?

Thanks guys!

I brewed this using the wyeast option and a 2L starter. I like it. Start fermenting at about 67 and ramp it up about 1 degree per day up to 70-72 after high krausen. I kegged so not sure about bottle conditioning. I also used liquid amber candi sugar instead of the cubes..wanted a little more color. Here are my brewing notes:

6/30/2012
Brewing Note:
Did mini mash for 1# Munich malt. 170F oven with pizza stone keeps mash at 150F. Adjusted mash pH with Phosphoric Acid to 5.7, about 0.4ml per gallon works. Used a "sprinkle" of calcium chloride in the mash.

First runnings in about 0.5 gallons was 1.064, batch sparged with another 1/2 gallon of 165F water, also acidified.

Pre-boil est 1.054 (13.8-14B). Got 14B in 6.5 - 6.75 gallons
Boil pH = 5.6

Added candi sugar, table sugar, and steeped grains with 3 min. left in boil

Post-boil est 1.064 in 7.32 gallons. Got 1.064 by hydrometer (1.060 @ 85F) in about 6.5 gallons (needed to add some water).

Whirlpooled by pump for about 5 min then let settle for 25 min. Pumped out wort from the top, recovered about 5.5 gallons into fermentor.

6/20/2012
Pitched at 1830L, 65F, Oxygenated for 1 minute. Controller set for 17.8C
Pitching rate ~ 13.3 million/ml

6/21/2012
Active fermentation noted this morning at 0730. Will raise the fermentation temp from 64 to 70 over a 7 day period.

6/27/2012
Controller increased to 70F, still see a nice krausen

7/11/2012
FG 1.009 @ 70F (1.010 corrected). The taste is awesome! Unplugged temp controller to begin lagering.

The yeast is safbrew t-58 by the way. Anyone got a recommended temp to ferment at?

I was thinking of starting in mid/low 60's first few days, let it increase to 70?

Just curious. What type of beer is the Noble trappist? I know I've heard the name before, but what is it?

So, I'm still learning some terminology.
What is meant by a "Belgian Style" ?
Is that just because of the high wheat content? Or what specifically puts a beer in that category?

Take a look at the beer style guide. There are numerous Belgian styles; Blond, Duppel, Triple, even Quad, as well as Blond Strong and Dark Strong.

They all use Belgian yeast strains which give a lot of unique complexity involving different esters. They tend to have a dry finish and use fairly high percentages of simple sugar in the recipe to achieve the dryness. Their grain bills can be very simple to complex.

Back