Specialty grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodeebryan

Reaction score
I ordered Sierra madre extract kit from Northern Brewer. I see that it comes with specialty grains. I have now brewed 3 extract kits and none of which had specialty grains. I'm not too worried about how to do it as I'm sure the kit instructions will be very clear. However, is the anything I should think through before I get rolling? And is the reason for the grains not coming in LME form is because of the low volume of use. i.e. not cost effective to sell them in extract from?

No, the grains are separate from the LME because they are used for flavor and color, and the LME is the main fermentable. Think of the LME being the base malt. They don't generally make specialty grain extracts, as they're used in much smaller amounts than base malts used to make LME and DME, and they are simple to prepare, since you really only need to make a 'tea' from them to get the colors and flavors. Make sure your grains are cracked, you can crack them with a rolling pin or beer bottle, and steep them in ~155 degree water for 20-30 mins, this will extract the colors, flavors and mainly unfermentable sugars from them.

Just don't forget to pick up a grain bag for when you steep the grains. It would be a bummer if brew day came around and you had to rush out to find something.

And those specialty grains will also give the beer a "fresher" taste as well as a more complex beer that extract can't give you. I was thrilled when I started using them as they give you tastes you can't get from extract alone.

Enjoy.

^^^^Stock up on those steeping grain bags. I would just buy a bulk lot of like 10 or so because you will end up using a good amount of them as time goes on.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/muslin-mesh-bag.html
-or get them wherever you can find them cheapest.

It's really not complicated so don't worry about it. Use Nordeast's information and just kinda swirl and steep the bag here and there until you've done it for 25 min @ 155F.

You also have the option of steeping the grains from the time you pour in the water until the water reaches 170F. Similar results.

Northern Brewer will provide a mesh steeping bag in the kit for the specialty grains.

Yeah it said the bag comes with. Looking forward to this one. Would like a little more flavor than the beers I have brewed thus far. Thanks for the advice

Yeah it said the bag comes with. Looking forward to this one. Would like a little more flavor than the beers I have brewed thus far. Thanks for the advice

Steeping a little bit of grain will go along way to doing just that. I have had an all DME, no specialty grain beer that was very good before, but that was a very hoppy 'session' IPA, where the hops stole the show. In general, light and extra light extract alone will make for a very bland beer, the steeping grains will add some nice depth of flavor to this next beer. :mug:

Just don't forget to pick up a grain bag for when you steep the grains. It would be a bummer if brew day came around and you had to rush out to find something.

Northern Brewer kits come with a bag. No need to buy one separately.

(Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that this was already pointed out. Carry on.)

Well if anyone care... I brewed this weekend. Specialty grains we simple enough and all went well. Carboy fermenting away! Thanks for the advise everyone.

Home Depot 5gal nylon paint strainer bags make an excellent reusable hop or grain strainer bags 3 for $5...

starrfish said:
Home Depot 5gal nylon paint strainer bags make an excellent reusable hop or grain strainer bags 3 for $5...

Great suggestion. I think I'll do that next time. Is there any advantage ( more hop flavor) to leaving the hop in the primary?

Agreed. I used the five gal bags for BIAB until I got my picnic cooler setup, and I still use the smaller ones instead of the muslin bags for steeping grains in extract batches and to bag hops for the boil. They last awhile, as opposed to the muslin bags that seem to be 'one n done', and a soak in hot water and Oxyclean will get 'em like new.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
I've never bought a kit that came with steeping grains that didn't include a muslin bag.

Morebeer.com is the only one I have seen that doesn't send a bag with specialty grains.

Northernbrewer.com, midwestsupplies.com and austinhomebrew.com all do.

Well I opened the first bottle last night. Very good. Real excited about sharing this beer with some if my friends this weekend. Of curse this is only the 4th batch I've brewed. But leaps and bounds the best one!

Great suggestion. I think I'll do that next time. Is there any advantage ( more hop flavor) to leaving the hop in the primary?

From all of the research I could find the answer is no. If the hops are added any time during the boil then they impart their attributes at that time and can be strained out of the wort before being put in primary.

I've done beers both ways. The only problem with leaving them in the wort is a much larger amount of trub on the bottom of the fermenter which could get sucked up during bottling. Straining is a major PAIN and mess from my experience though so in the future I have decided to hop in a bag and I've moved to all grain so straining shouldn't be necessary anymore.

Grats on your awesome beer too.

Back