Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How good a shandygaff tastes, I think, depends more on the ginger beer or ginger ale used than on the beer (which doesn't mean I'm suggesting people use crappy beer. I'm just saying that you should use some some pretty damn good ginger ale/beer).

Coke + beer? No way. Since I've put on a few pounds over the past two years I no longer drink calories. Maybe coke zero + beer?

I spent a month in Germany this past summer and just about every restaurant and bar I went to had bier cola on the menu. One of my friends ordered a red wine once that was mixed with the lemon soda they use in radler. Nasty. At the opposite end of the spectrum, the smoked beers in Bamberg are some of my favorite beer experiences I've ever had.

Ah yes, Utah...... the Mormon Promised Land (my sister is Mormon). Can't help you with the "tap room" but remember a chair shaped stack of Shafer cases back in college to sit on. Look, we all taste good beer the first time, we all taste good sushi the first time, and we all taste good poo-nanny the first time. Some people are happy with less. Let THEM have it.

That reminds me - at the University of Wisconsin Union they used to serve this stuff called BB Lemon. It was this awful, sickly sweet 5ish ABV lemon stuff.

Funny, it sounds a lot like a Japanese soda called CC Lemon which was non-alcoholic and had 1,500mg of Vitamin C in it. I loved that stuff, but it was very sweet also.

Funny, it sounds a lot like a Japanese soda called CC Lemon which was non-alcoholic and had 1,500mg of Vitamin C in it. I loved that stuff, but it was very sweet also.

I was also a fan. It's pretty crazy carbonated too.

In Japan they have what's called "Lemon Sour" which is not a whiskey sour or anything similar. It's actually like a mixture of lemon soda (like CC lemon) and shochu (usually 21% ABV), which in the end comes out to around 5% or 6% ABV.

By extension "sour" in Japan means "carbonated soda beverage with alcohol in it" and you'll get stuff like "Grape Sour" and "Orange Sour" and so on which are not sour at all.

I was also a fan. It's pretty crazy carbonated too.

In Japan they have what's called "Lemon Sour" which is not a whiskey sour or anything similar. It's actually like a mixture of lemon soda (like CC lemon) and shochu (usually 21% ABV), which in the end comes out to around 5% or 6% ABV.

By extension "sour" in Japan means "carbonated soda beverage with alcohol in it" and you'll get stuff like "Grape Sour" and "Orange Sour" and so on which are not sour at all.

I remember hearing these as a "Squash" also. I loved the Lemon Squash (Lemon Sukasshu).

0000078035-1.jpg

I remember hearing these as a "Squash" also. I loved the Lemon Squash (Lemon Sukasshu).

0000078035-1.jpg

Squash doesn't have alcohol in it though. It's basically just a type of carbonated lemon-flavored drink. Pretty damn good, though. I think the term is a distortion of the UK English term "squash."

Reminds me of "Cider" in Japan, which has nothing to do with apples, but is actually a pretty much unflavored (but sweetened) carbonated drink. Some "ciders" are flavored, though, such as Ramune (which is, yes, considered "cider" in Japan). For the alcoholic drink from apples, the Japanese use the French word "Cidre" (Shiidoru) instead of the English word "cider," which means "soda" (or they use the literal Japanese term "ringoshu").

Squash doesn't have alcohol in it though. It's basically just a type of carbonated lemon-flavored drink. Pretty damn good, though. I think the term is a distortion of the UK English term "squash."

Agreed. Gets back to my mention of CC Lemon also. Non-alcoholic, sour lemon pop.

Reminds me of "Cider" in Japan, which has nothing to do with apples, but is actually a pretty much unflavored (but sweetened) carbonated drink. Some "ciders" are flavored, though, such as Ramune (which is, yes, considered "cider" in Japan). For the alcoholic drink from apples, the Japanese use the French word "Cidre" (Shiidoru) instead of the English word "cider," which means "soda."

So is Mitsuya Cider!

r38316-mitsuya-cider.jpg

I drank quite a bit of the Cidre also. Also Chu-hai.

92_P_1357007365267.JPG

chu-hi-cheap-drink-tokyo.jpeg

Interestingly, "chu-hi" and "sour" are the same thing. The differences in terms originated as a regional thing. Some will say that "chu-hi" is shochu-based, while "sour" is "vodka" based, but that's not always true and you'll find the terms are used interchangeably. The term "chu-hi" originated as an abbreviation of "Shochu Highball," but you'll find chu-his that use vodka and sours that use shochu. Etc.

I always enjoyed Hyouketsu and Kirin's other chu-his, but didn't care much for Takara's chu-his.

I'm confused...I said I don't drink calories . Cola has calories, no matter how much alcohol you add to it
Maybe because by your reasoning, the calories will negated by the alcohol, the same as the calories in your beer? (and alcohol actually has 7 calories per gram, vs 4 calories per gram of sugar...)

Maybe because by your reasoning, the calories will negated by the alcohol, the same as the calories in your beer? (and alcohol actually has 7 calories per gram, vs 4 calories per gram of sugar...)

Are you trying to tell me there are calories in beer?

Edit: I just googled this and it looks like you are correct. Sh*t the bed, I'm going to have rethink this whole thing! :)

Edit: I just googled this and it looks like you are correct. Sh*t the bed, I'm going to have rethink this whole thing! :)

Better go pure grain and not pay attention to the calories in alcohol.

:D Yes, there are lots and lots of calories in beer (how much really depends specifically on the beer). Haven't you ever heard people call beer "liquid bread"?

And alcohol (ethanol) is actually pretty dense with calories, just so you know.

:D Yes, there are lots and lots of calories in beer (how much really depends specifically on the beer). Haven't you ever heard people call beer "liquid bread"?

And alcohol (ethanol) is actually pretty dense with calories, just so you know.

On an unfortunate note, the awesome beer home brewers make has like 2-3x the calories that commercial beers have.

Yeah I did. Freezin' my Arse off here in the snow belt waiting to get to the store for spring water to brew the next batch. Car fubar'd for the time being & son working till late. Might not be able to brew due to cold & needing to make a starter from yeast that half froze in shipment. So hope to brew but not counting on it 100%...:confused::drunk::D
And yeah, the one guy claimed half the basement for a brew area. I claimed the parlor as my brewery/man cave. If nobody in the house likes it, tough!

Went here for dinner the other day: http://www.gcfb.net/brewery

Granite City brews all of their own beer (nothing else on tap)... I was all excited looking at the brew room and decided to try the Bock. Well, it was gross. Watery, thin mouthfeel and a strong mildew-y aftertaste.

So, I decide "wth? I'll ask about the flight (12 2 oz beers for $4.95)"

"Excuse me, miss server lady, what are the seasonal brews that come with this flight?"

"Um.......... I think one is an Ale. If you like those."

"Just bring it to me and go away, thanks."

Luckily they had a card that came with it... but every one of them was gross. Thin and watered down, like they dilute them heavily or something... and ALL had the same mildew aftertaste.

Nasty.

Dinner Saturday night (at a Mediterranean place with a fancy liqueur selection) I ask the bar tender what beers they had (none were listed on any menu), after the second one of him explaining what style it is my wife chuckles at my expression, interrupts him to say he is in over his head, stop describing the style and a pale ale is far from "a strong bud light". I was surprised that the 6 beers they had none were owned or connect to one of the BMC's.

Later on the guy really started to scare me with the good old "liqueur has so much sugar in it" claim and the guy claims to be going to some big mixology convention again this year for the 3rd time.

L O to the ****ing L.

http://www.homebrewing.org/How-to-Chill-a-Beer_ep_33-1.html said:
The quickest solution is to pour a warm beer into your glass, then hold it up around eye level and tell your wife/girlfriend that she’s way overweight and needs to go on a diet or you might accept the advances of her little sister. Her freezing glare will frost up your glass and cool it within 3 seconds! Don’t hold that pose more than 5 seconds or your beer will become frozen, your face will become frost-bitten, and your head will likely be dented by the soon-to-follow rolling pin!

Back