Over Ripe Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewUpAndSup

Reaction score
HI all. Just wondering if you can use over ripe fruit, as I had an idea about asking my local fruit and veg shop if I could have the stock that they can't sell anymore for free! So was just wondering if it can go past a certain point which it can't be used any more. Many thanks : )

It has been my experience that if you wouldn't eat it as fruit, than it doesn't make very good wine.

Oh right! It was just a thought. Would of been nice to say I made it from not spending a penny! Cheers Daze

Hmmm, really? I think it depends on the fruit. If overripeness only makes it unsellable because it goes a funny colour and a bit squishy (like banana), then I think it's fine, infact for banana wine overripe is a big plus.

If the fruit changes flavour to something not nice or mould has started to deveop... that's another matter entirely!

Hmmm, really? I think it depends on the fruit. If overripeness only makes it unsellable because it goes a funny colour and a bit squishy (like banana), then I think it's fine, infact for banana wine overripe is a big plus.

If the fruit changes flavour to something not nice or mould has started to deveop... that's another matter entirely!

My rule of thumb encompasses that. a lot of people like to eat over ripe bananas so at that point it is still good wine fruit. On the flip side fruit that has started to go bad will not only tastes bad but will also usually not make a very good wine. In most cases (bananas aside) if the store is getting rid if it, it is because the fruit is starting to break down. The only exception might be that part of the fruit is still good and you can use it by cutting the bad part out. example. an apple may have a huge bruise on one side where it had been dropped. Not good to sell in the store but the bruise can be removed and the other half of the apple can be used to make wine. There is however an inherent risk when using questionable fruit that if the fruit is damaged or starting to spoil that you could contaminate your brew with unwanted bacteria cultures.

I got 30 pounds of peaches from a farmer because they were going soft. They still taste great, but were not easily sold. He knew that he would be throwing them away in a few days.

The wine is currently aging...

I got 30 pounds of peaches from a farmer because they were going soft. They still taste great, but were not easily sold. He knew that he would be throwing them away in a few days.

The wine is currently aging...

Exactly!!! selling it and eating it are two different things. the fact that it tastes great is what lends it to making an excellent wine.

Agreed :) so in summary, go find that local shop and see if they say yes, if they do you just need to judge if they are still OK to be made in to wine.

Well if it's any consolation, I bought overripe apples and made crock pot apple butter...I know, it's not wine, but it's still homemade!!
The Elderberry wine however IS in the primary! LOL

Back