ISO Atlantic hops store/Founders Centennial IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I live in VA and I need the best/closest hops online store enough hops for a 10 gallon batch. Any stores on the Atlantic Coast?

I need help with a recipe too. I don't care if it is a Founders IPA clone, but that would be nice. I just want to use centennial hops to make a beer that will coat my mouth in oils.

I love several exclusive beers that you can only get at the Dogfish Head Brewpub in DE (Johnny Cask, Shark Beer, Octoberfest). Do you think I could just use the grain portion of a DFH 60 minute IPA recipe, and replace the hops with centennial hops and adjust the amount of hops to mimic the Founders IPA IBU rating?

if you want a lot of hops of one variety Hops Direct is your best choice, they are cheap (a generous pound of Centennials is only $11.50). You can order hops from any homebrew store (plenty on the east coast) but they tend to be considerably more expensive.

For the recipe you can certainly take the malt bill from DFH 60 and load in the Centennials. My preference is to bitter with an addition ~60, then add several ounces at the end of the boil and for dry hopping.

can anyone explain this statement: "My preference is to bitter with an addition ~60"?

does that mean i should use a different type of hops other than Centennial, probably a bittering hops like Warrior or Chinook, at 60 minutes to add bitterness?

thanks again, oldsock. sour brown in half way through the primary.

Start with a bittering addition of hops at about 60 minutes before the end of your boil. Then make more hop additions much later in the boil, like when you have 15, 10, 5, or 0 minutes left in your boil.

Often times IPA's are boiled for 90 minutes. You could do a first wort hop and throw some hops in to the wort just as you are putting heat to it to work your way up to a boil. But Oldsock is saying to add the bittering addition of hops when you have started the boil and have 60 minutes of boil time to go.

Does that make sense?

Exactly, I think the Dogfish Head strategy of adding hops all the way through the boil is a waste of time and hops. Use an addition near the start to get the bulk of your bitterness (IBUs) and then load the beer up with big additions near the end (I tend to skip the 5/10/15 min additions and just add several ounces right after the boil is over). Dry hopping will give you a big fresh resinous aroma that you are looking for. If you keg adding hops to the keg is a great way to go as well.

thanks again, oldsock. sour brown in half way through the primary.

Sweet!

ok, here is my hops schedule, unless someone want to chime in and make an improvement. i'm hoping for a high OG, maybe 1.070

60min 1.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 60 IBU
15min 0.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 5 IBU
0min 0.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU
dry hop 1.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU

P.S. ordered a pound of Centennial and a pound of Amarillo whole hops from hopsdirect.com, after many recommendations. they don't grow/sell Simcoe :(

i figure i will use pellets from the local brewstore for small amount of bittering hops i use. i can't see ordering a pound of bittering hops.

ok, here is my hops schedule, unless someone want to chime in and make an improvement. i'm hoping for a high OG, maybe 1.070

60min 1.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 60 IBU
15min 0.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 5 IBU
0min 0.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU
dry hop 1.5oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU

I'm going to be completely honest...you won't be happy with that as an IPA. You need something more along the lines of:

60min 2.0 ounces Centennial
2min 2.0 ounces Centennial
0min 3.0 ounces Centennial
DH 3.0 ounces Centennial
:mug:

If you want a solid, citrusy, hoppy IPA, don't skimp on the hops.

i'm looking to make a 65 IBU beer like Founders Centennial IPA. your hop schedule would put me at 120 IBU or more. i would consider upping my hops schedule, but i'm pretty sure the 10 ounces of hops you suggested would be too much for the 6% or 7% IPA i'm trying to make.

...my mistake. your hops schedule would put be at 80 IBU or more.

can i get some more opinions from you experienced hop heads?

i'm looking to make a 65 IBU beer like Founders Centennial IPA. your hop schedule would put me at 120 IBU or more. i would consider upping my hops schedule, but i'm pretty sure the 10 ounces of hops you suggested would be too much for the 6% or 7% IPA i'm trying to make.

How are you getting 120 ibus? I only upped the 60 minute addition by .5 ounces, and moved a bunch of hops to two minutes or less...and I can absolutely promise you that you won't be happy with 2 ounces of finishing and dry hops. It won't taste like Founders IPA.

you are right, heywatchthis. i was thinking you doubled the 60 minute addition. my mistake.

now i am thinking about this schedule for a 5.5 gallon batch:

60min 1.75oz Centennial [11%AA] 70 IBU
2min 2oz Centennial [11%AA] ? IBU
0min 3oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU
dry hop 3oz Centennial [11%AA] 0 IBU

It depends what you want, the last IPA I did was 1.071 and had ~1 lb of hops. It was what I was looking for, really big fruity/dank nose, assertive bitterness etc...

i wasn't planning on using any sugar. i usually like my beers to be on the dextrinous side. Stone and Bells usually seem watered down to me (that's why i picked DFH grain bill).

do you think i would regret not using some sugar? at very least i will mash at 150 for 60 minutes to try to reduce the dextrin in this batch.

i wasn't planning on using any sugar. i usually like my beers to be on the dextrinous side. Stone and Bells usually seem watered down to me (that's why i picked DFH grain bill).

do you think i would regret not using some sugar? at very least i will mash at 150 for 60 minutes to try to reduce the dextrin in this batch.

If you like dextrinous, all-malt at this gravity is perfectly fine. I like my IPAs to be dry to really accentuate the hop bitterness (FG ~1.012). If you were going bigger, say ~1.080+ for a DIPA, I think sugar is close to mandatory (without it you'll get a result closer to a balelywine). 150 sounds perfect, good luck.

I'm looking at a recipe directly from Sam Calagione's home brew book. He says the FG of DFH 60 minute IPA (6% ABV) has a FG of 1.017.

My beer will hopefully be closer to 7% ABV like Founder's, and the recipe calculator in the link above predicts 1.017 FG for my recipe in its current state. I think I may cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Back