I'm old and crabby and will NOT read textspeak!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a cell phone blocker, it keeps the blackberry's from beeping around me

I have thought about getting one of these just to mess with people. They actually work and how far around?

Would LOVE to use it on the freeway to get people to HANG UP AND DRIVE.

Would LOVE to use it on the freeway to get people to HANG UP AND DRIVE.

I'm with you on that, though it would probably make them more dangerous because they'd be staring at their phone all "WTF OMG I swear for to Gods, stupid phone! Get signal" BANG- :drunk:

Oh but you should also know that they are highly illegal, to sell, manufacture, own or operate. First offenses could get you $11,000 in fines and/or 1 year in a federal prison, as it is against a Communications law.
Also worth noting, though their status is illegal, the FCC has NOT prosecuted ANYone for using a jammer, stating that "No one has complained."
And another interesting (off topic) thing is that you are actually better off in a Federal prison than your local state prison. Just so ya know.

LOL ROFL!!! 733T SpEAk. I'm young(25) and think this is hilarious.

I love this comment so hard it makes me happy. For us tech geeks protocol is and www is the reason we can interact and see **** now a days. The internet was created far before the visual aspect of www was introduced. Not having a standard protocol of communication would be the death of the internet. Imagine Facebook not being able to communicate with other websites or widget games.

I've been a mIRC user for over a decade. As well I was using Telnet in the 90's.

:mug: You know what, Yoop? I'm with ya on this one.

I'm old and crabby and have spent too many damned years in the tech industry. I was "chatting" on IRC, messaging on Compuserve, when Mark Zuckerberg was still getting stuffed into lockers and wondering what planet girls came from.

I love technology, but it has bred a culture of lazy, apathetic uber dorks who don't seem to grasp the concept that communication still relies on being able to understand one another's language.

Cheers!

iaefebs said:
A tech geek should recognize a 10 month old thread when he sees one. mIRC on.

In the spirit of the thread, I'm going to have to respond with a resounding "lulz"

no on should lulz cat inside this thread. Trolling is not accepted.

If there was a real response... I would say that using telnet in the nineties after the www world was created signifies at least a minor in l337.

I think the last two posts should have paid attention to content and not just to troll.

Wow... if you get that touchy about something so harmless I would recommend avoiding 95% of the rest of the interwebz.

Also, telnet != 1337 ;)

A tech geek should recognize a 10 month old thread when he sees one. mIRC on.

Oooh, burn!

Most tech geeks need protocol just to get to the john let alone identify a 10-month old thread. Unlike engineers, who need a flow chart to wipe their a*ses!;)

I just read the first and last pages of this thread, I'm also old and hate text language. In fact I hate texting to the point that I've offer to fire employees who insist on texting me instead of calling me. I can generally get in my car and drive to wherever he/she is before I could type out a message on my phone and send it.
In our industry we did text speech decades before there was even texting. We had to hand draft wells logs so to save time when we drafted our rock descriptions we deleted almost every vowel and as many consonants as possible.
A very fine grained, gray sandstone with calcite cement becomes: vf gr gy ss,clc cmt

Confused.... you say you hate text speak but you invented it. Didn't know there were older hipsters.

Heh, I kid I kid

But a lot of my posts on here are from my phone using the hbt app and I am able to use full sentences :)

My understanding was that l337 speak was a way to get around automated text filters so that early geeks could chat without the bosses being aware. Maybe I'm wrong, I just remember hearing that somewhere. Not meant to be an excuse for laziness. That said, I'm about the only person I know (outside of SWMBO) who ever utilizes a semicolon in text messages (not in the context of smilies).

That and..

Let's eat Grandma.

vs.

Let's eat, Grandma.

Yes, punctuation is important...

Yeah 1337 was originally a simple encryption to get around filters. But some things started as mistakes like typos that turn into "real" words. Examples: pron or pwned

I love it when people use textspeak in professional emails. Actually had a recruiter for a job I applied for use OMG when she apologized for missing my phone interview. Missing phone interview, strike 1. OMG, strikes two and three. And in my last job my boss would send emails to our team without any capitalization, and using texting abbreviations. Hard to take him seriously with this happening.

I also hate it when people talk in textspeak. The phrases ASAP and FYI when spoken make me want throw the offender off the nearest building.

My son will text my wife, my wife will text him back, the son will text back, She sends a final text. Total elapsed time 3 minutes. All this done in text speak. The same son will call me, we talk and cover more of the same topic. Total elapsed time 15 seconds. All spoken in full sentences.

Omg u n33d 2 get w/ the x bro. U ppls=nub sauc :D

I hate text speak. I love touch screen smart phones (used to hate them) because it's so fast to just type out the full sentence.

^ +1

texting doesn't interrupt like a call might...it certainly has it's place.
But for the love of God, please type out full sentences. I will not waste my time trying to figure out what you're saying...

/end rant

One thing I've noticed is that I don't even read posts anymore than have the "word" u instead of you.

I mean, I start to read something like "Help! Is my beer ruined" and then I see u in the post, and I'm done!

One thing I've noticed is that I don't even read posts anymore than have the "word" u instead of you.

I mean, I start to read something like "Help! Is my beer ruined" and then I see u in the post, and I'm done!

Yooper also keeps the windows open so she can yell at kids to get off her lawn! ;)

I've got an app that I've never tried that is supposed to convert speech to text, so I could feasibly talk into my phone and it will send it as text.

Even here in this forum... Oh, and the lack of punctuation! I guess that it's hard to use periods while texting.

[vent] One person here posts a lot but doesn't use the space bar after punctuation. It kept pi$$ing me off, until I found the ignore feature yesterday. Yeah! [/vent off]

Back