filter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slc10

Reaction score
i am experimenting with filter my beer. i have a The Buon Vino Mini Jet Filter from my wine making days. if i use a coarse pad, will it take out the yeast. i bottle condition everything and im concerned about carbonation.

I don't know much about filtering, but I didn't think the coarse pad removed yeast? I thought you needed a #2 or #3 pad to remove yeast.

Anyway, if you do want a bright beer and filter the yeast out, you could add a little fresh yeast at bottling. A 1/3 package of an 11 gram package of dry yeast, dissolved in your priming solution, would be adequate.

If you filter out the yeast, you wont have natural carbonation. You need the yeast to eat the sugar to make the co2 to carb the beer. And with that, comes some sediment. It's that simple. It's not something to be feared or loathed, but to embraced. It's found in many beers of the greatest beers around the world.

The Belgians practically worship it.

I don't filter and I get very clear beer with the tiniest bit of sedimentation, which I simply leave behind when I'm filling my glass. All I do is leave my beer in primary for a month, that's it. And I've had beer judges comment on the clarity of my beers.

Read this and even watch the video, and get over your aversion to yeast in bottles. If you haven't had many living, bottle conditioned beers that have sediment, you're missing out on some of the best beers on the planet. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/anyone-using-filter-bottling-123758/#post1379528

IIRC you need a 2-3 micron filter to pull yeast out, your "coarse" 6 micron pad will leave plenty of yeast in there to bottle condition & naturally carb.

Back