Paint Thinner!!??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarnoBrewer

Reaction score
So I keep some of my spare brewing equipment in a shed that also houses paint. Until very recently, this hasn't been a problem. No odors, or anything like that. The other day, a can of epoxy floor paint sprang a leak and dripped down into one of my plastic primary fermenters. I tried soap and water to no avail, and finally resorted to paint thinner to clean it up. Now the primary reeks of paint thinner. My first thought is lots of soap and water, then sanitize and hope the smell goes away. Any other ideas?

Sorry, my first and only thought is throw it out. I know that's not the answer you're looking for, but is it really worth it?

Yeah, you guys are right. A new primary is pretty cheap compared to a batch of India Paint thinner Ale. I just hoped someone had a mystery cure for eradicating all the nasties.

I was thinking mix up some Vodka and baking soda as a light cream then brush
coat the inside, let it sit a couple days then flush it out and dry. Add a fresh box of baking soda opened up to see if this will soak up any leftover smells again a couple days. A cheap test what's there to lose at this point?

You could try and use some vinegar to try and get rid of the smell, but over all I don't think it would be worth it.

Heat it up somehow. The heat should help to evaporate the solvent. However, HDPE is permeable and the paint thinner molecules might be stuck in the plastic.

I agree with the earlier posts. No reason to throw it out since it can still be used. Just not for brewing. Sounds like a good bucket to degrease engine parts in now.

I would also take a sniff on anything else made of plastic or rubber before using them.

Back