Lager yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danbreeze

Reaction score
First off, Happy early St. Patty's day to all!

I have been thinking of brewing up an Octoberfest beer this month to serve at an Octoberfest party in September. The problem is my basement can only get down to 60 degrees F and I am worried that is not cold enough.

Would fermentation at this temperature produce too many off flavors? My other option is that I have a wine fridge with adjustable temp control that I could ferment it in.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you're going to brew a true Oktoberfest using a lager yeast, 60°F would probably produce some fruitiness from esters or other noticeable off-flavors. You really need to be colder than that... more like 50°F. Then for lagering, it's best down to about 33°F. If you can get those temps, you're golden.

What yeast do you plan on using? For ease of use (dry yeast), I can recommend Saflager W-34/70 (minimum of 2 packets, rehydrated, for ~5 gallons).

What yeast do you plan on using? For ease of use (dry yeast), I can recommend Saflager W-34/70 (minimum of 2 packets, rehydrated, for ~5 gallons).

Thank you for your feedback. I would be using Saflager W-34/70 as well. I have had great success with dry yeast lately.

I have an old refridgerator in the garage that is out of comission due to a broken compressor, so maybe it would be worth my time to have a friend fix it up and use it for just lagers. I also wanted to try a Doppelbock in the near future.

I have an old refridgerator in the garage that is out of comission due to a broken compressor, so maybe it would be worth my time to have a friend fix it up and use it for just lagers.

Maybe worth it, maybe not. Can that refrigerator efficiently hold lagering temps (near freezing). If so, go for it. But you'll still need a temp. controller. Alternatively, you might be able to find a new or used small chest freezer for cheap.

Back