American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have many problems to take care of to begin with (I have a 5 gallon pot, not big enough at all/ My thermometer goes wacky and only Celsius works) that being said I will buy a bigger pot/better thermometer next time I brew.
My grains were crushed at my LHBS. I had just under 5 gallons of water to 14Lbs grains at 164F to mash in with. My temperature during mash was around 147 about 15 minutes in, so i boiled around 3 cups of water to add to the mash. And its hard to say my volumes for sure due to the fact i wasn't able to drain all the wort out from the mash (I got maybe 5.5 gallons, 5 in my main pot, .5 in another) but post boil is a little under 5 gallons.

I just brewed this but had to substitute the cenntinial for chinook and used WLP090 yeast. My OG was almost perfect and I used new new brew kettle and wort chiller for the first time! I was shocked having my wort down to 80 degrees F in 15 minutes

Today`s brew day. Im mid boil, using 2.5oz of Centennial on a 2 Gal. converted recipe. Used Crystal 60 instead of 20. Im excited to brew my own version of this expensive ass brew!:fro:
Also: OG is off, added 1/2lb of DME to bring it up to 1.070

This is in the fermeneter going crazy now...I screwed up on my hops though..did a full 90 minute boil without ANY hop additions...DOH!...added 4 ounces and boiled for another 5 minutes...I'm going to step up the dry hop and see what happens..probably a lot of aroma but not much beittering

Sounds like a few too many beers or too many people distracting. If it's really sweet I suggest brewing a really bitter beer and blending them. No way I'd throw it away.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is in the fermeneter going crazy now...I screwed up on my hops though..did a full 90 minute boil without ANY hop additions...DOH!...added 4 ounces and boiled for another 5 minutes...I'm going to step up the dry hop and see what happens..probably a lot of aroma but not much beittering

I'd make a mini-batch and bitter the crap out of it, then mix them. You could probably do a half-gallon with DME at 1.050 or higher with an ounce or more of super-AA hops for 60 minutes, then blend it into the other batch.

I did this one for my first all-grain batch following Yoopers recipe to the letter. I bottled conditioned for two weeks and was I surprised at how well it turned out! Color and bitterness was right on though the nose was a bit different. I love Stone IPA's with Arrogant Bastard being my favorite but this recipe seemed easy enough. I would highly recommend this to new all-grain home brewers. Much thanks to Yooper!

Came out today at 1.062 so I came out a good bit under it seems like. I did a 6.5 gallon boil and ended up with 5.75 gallons. I wanted to account for trub loss and secondary hop loss. First time using a blowoff tube too. I'm wondering if I should've upped my grain bill to get to 1.077 since I used more water? If we reach 1.010 then I should be at 6.9% abv which is fine!

Just a twist to this recipe, but has anyone ever subbed Citra for the Centennial??? I know it will be nothing like Ruination but am thinking of doing this and was just wondering.

Deacon

Just a twist to this recipe, but has anyone ever subbed Citra for the Centennial??? I know it will be nothing like Ruination but am thinking of doing this and was just wondering.

Deacon

I'm about to brew a version of this and add some citra late/dryhop. I think they used citra in the 10th anniversary version.

day 10 update:
Used a 2L Wyeast 1056 starter and had huge fermentation activity within 4-5 hours of pitching. SG was 1.062. Had to clean the airlock/blowoff tube twice within 48 hours. Never have I seen such a violent fermentation. Switched to the standard 3 piece airlock after 4 days. Well, here we are on day 10 and there is still some airlock activity which surprised me. Fermenting at 71 degrees. Question:

Never had a beer ferment for so long... also never made a beer this big. Is this normal? I'm going to wait to day 15 or so to dryhop.

day 10 update:
Used a 2L Wyeast 1056 starter and had huge fermentation activity within 4-5 hours of pitching. SG was 1.062. Had to clean the airlock/blowoff tube twice within 48 hours. Never have I seen such a violent fermentation. Switched to the standard 3 piece airlock after 4 days. Well, here we are on day 10 and there is still some airlock activity which surprised me. Fermenting at 71 degrees. Question:

Never had a beer ferment for so long... also never made a beer this big. Is this normal? I'm going to wait to day 15 or so to dryhop.

It would surprise me if the SG is still dropping after 10 days. That would be unusual with that yeast strain and a relatively low OG.

just looked at it (in a bucket) and it looks like the krausen has dropped. Might wait a few days before dry hopping. Smelled great.

In the middle of brewing the extract version of this as we speak. Already steeped the crystal (added some DME during this based on my LHBS recommendation). Waiting to get up to boiling temp now. So far so good...

I'm curious: can you tell us how did it end?

I brewed this about a week ago with starter of WLP001. Cold break didn't settle out very well, so there is a lot of break material in the carboy.

Fermentation took off like crazy for the first few days, and it was the first beer I've had to use a blowoff tube. I just checked the gravity on it, and the refractometer gives me an SG of 1.032! Down from an OG of 1.073. Beer has been room temp, low to mid 70s, the entire ferment

I watched it for a while, and saw a few bubble coming out of the yeast bed, so seems like it is still chewing away. Let it ride, or pitch more yeast?
The only beer yeast I have is washed Wy3711, but I do have an order from AHS still pending fulfilment with 2x Nottingham in it. Should I call them up and try to have them put a vial of WLP001 in it?

I'm assuming that you used a formula to adjust for FG using a refractometer? It doesn't read sugar content properly once you throw alcohol in the mix. You can convert your reading with a formula or just measure it with a hydrometer.

I'm assuming that you used a formula to adjust for FG using a refractometer? It doesn't read sugar content properly once you throw alcohol in the mix. You can convert your reading with a formula or just measure it with a hydrometer.

:eek:
Just plugged my numbers into a calculator, and looks like I'm down at 1.005. Thanks for educating this noob.

At least now I'll have a few packs of US-05 in backup.

Just out of curiosity, what is the purpose of the late boil additions versus whirlpool additions? Is there a flavor difference if I add the hops as prescribed vs whirlpooling them all for 30 mins?

I know there's a difference in bitterness contribution. But anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

wow! I just read through all of this (I skipped a few pages).
Now I'm wondering as this is considered an IIPA, the late hopping schedule does seem to be rather low comapred to other recipes I've seen for these types of styles.
the bittering is high which makes sense, but the lack of big additions at flameout makes me wonder, and theres no mention of people making larger additions at flameout.
My thoughts are as follows, and this falls in line with stuff I've read suggesting, big late hop additions for aroma/flavour at flameout, which should in theory be increased from those additions made around the 10 min mark.

I saw this recipe and it seems to fit with my flameout addition theories. http://beerandwinejournal.com/stone-2x-dry-hop-ruination/
Now theres a 1.5oz centennial at flamout with an additional 0.5oz of chinook.
So my thoughts for brewing this recipe are as follows:
run with a similar hop schedule to Yooper
60 - Magnum Possibly dropped back slightly to compensate for a small amount of increased IBU for 0Min additions (Not much if any, maybe 1/4oz at most.)
30 - Skip this one
10 - 1 oz Centennial
00 - 1.5-2oz centennial, depending on whether I decide to add another addition of something whether it be chinook or something else.
The second part of this, is that another increase in hops should be used for dryhopping, to get the other flavours to pop and the aroma to jump out of the glass at you. so my suggestions if going 100% Centennial would be 3-3.5oz of Dryhops, or another hop of choice.
Obviously in this particular recipe the WLP007 is the best choice, given the stone house yeast, which is similar to this.
the malt bill would probably be the same.

anyone have any thoughts on this??

I brewed this as per Yooper's recipe on Saturday, but missed my OG (1.063), but it should still be pretty good. I brewed it again yesterday afternoon, dropping the wort into a fermentor with a yeast cake from Yooper's Stone IPA recipe and it started fermenting in about 45 minutes. Glad I put the blowoff tube on it before I went to bed because it was blowing out the tube into the bucket of sanitizer like NUTS! I still missed my OG on this one, but ended up with 1.066, so it is getting there. I generally get about 82% attenuation so it should be pretty clean when all is said and done.

Thanks again Yooper!

I really want to brew this after trying my first (and probably last) Ruination last night.
I normally pitch plenty of yeast (starter on stir plate) but don't yet have an oxygen set-up. Could this be an issue with this beer?

I really want to brew this after trying my first (and probably last) Ruination last night.
I normally pitch plenty of yeast (starter on stir plate) but don't yet have an oxygen set-up. Could this be an issue with this beer?

Newky, my beer (even big ones) ferment out much faster with oxygen (All now within 5 days with 001). Noticabley less diacetyl as well... which is v important for ipas.

I have a question for all. Im having trouble reconciling brewers friend color calculation with what this beer is supposed to be: 12°L ( IPA by Mitch Steele.

Im getting like 6.5SRM ... also did calculation by hand... btw the malt part of the recipe is pretty much the same as the ones on this thread. How can it be so far out?

Can anyone help a poor noob?

I brewed this on Saturday, but couldn't find my stupid hydrometer flask to take any measurements. I bought a new one so I can get a FG when fermentation is complete, which will be something at least. Fermentation did take off in about 4 hours and it needed a blowoff tube by Sunday morning (airlock was totally clogged up!). It is sitting in my ferm chamber right now bubbling away at 65F, where it will stay for another week. Smells awesome though :ban:

Brewed mine 3 weeks ago. Put in chamber at 62 for 5 days then inched up over the next week to 72. Brought it in last night to let it sit at room temp before bottling and the dang sucker started back up! I guess I'll have to wait another week. I am seriously considering racking it over to a secondary since the cake is about 2 inches thick. I thought it was just off gassing at first, but it was still going at lunch today.

Brewed mine 3 weeks ago. Put in chamber at 62 for 5 days then inched up over the next week to 72. Brought it in last night to let it sit at room temp before bottling and the dang sucker started back up! I guess I'll have to wait another week. I am seriously considering racking it over to a secondary since the cake is about 2 inches thick. I thought it was just off gassing at first, but it was still going at lunch today.

If you had it at 72 for more than a few days, it might just be C02 and not fermentation. Something to consider.

Just checked the gravity at 6 days from brew day (couldn't help myself). It has fermented down to 1.012, which is about where most of my beers ferment to. I think it has a couple more points left to drop before it is all done. Sample tasted great, and it feels like a 8% beer (though I can only estimate since I don't have an OG measurement).

Greg

20150619_170844.jpg

I need to take a sample and test the gravity but I can't find my friggin thief since I moved. Tempted to just drop the hydrometer in there.

Do it. Sanitize it first. Or go spend two bucks on a turkey baster.

The business end of an auto siphon works as well.

You have options.

Moved mine to secondary after two weeks in primary. It is dry hopping now, and it did ferment down a couple more points to 1.010. Sample was again very tasty. I plan to move it to the keg tomorrow (5 days of dry hopping), and dunk in 2 ounces of whole leaf dry hops. Hopefully it will be ready by Saturday! :ban:

Kegged my Ruination clone yesterday, put it at 35 psi for 29 hours, and just tasted a pint. SUPER tasty! I have a small banana flavor, but I think that can be attributed to my swinging fermentation temps. That should be fixed now that I have a temp controlled chamber to make the next batch in. Super happy with this recipe. Thanks Yooper!

Anyone have a steer, on the new 2.0 version ofthis beer?
My understanding isthey have kept thesame base grains etc, and added some new special hops.
What I've been told is this:
Centennial has been kept as the major flavour/aroma etc. with new supportinghops, in azacca, simcoe and citra. can someone confirm this, and let me know whether anyone has done a recipe usingall these hops, and has come out similar???

Just kegged this yesterday with dry hops and it smelled awesome! Gravity was down to 1.012 from 1.065 for 7% alcohol and 81% AA.

I had some issues with lower boil rate than usual and ended up with 13l of 1.065 wort instead of 10l of 1.077. The low boil rate also resulted in less bitterness than shot for, about 90 IBUs. Luckily I didn't notice any DMS, but the gravity sample had an odd rubbery/soapy aftertaste to it. I used Centennial instead of Magnum for bittering - maybe the aftertaste has something to do with the "harshness" of bittering hops and will fade over time. I'm gonna chill and carb it in a week, I hope it'll turn out OK.

I know this thread has been revived time and time again and I've read through a good portion of it, but as I get set to brew this in a couple weeks I haven't found anything relating to the water profile.

I use distilled water and add salts from there. If Yooper is still watching this thread, what was your water like for brewing this beer? Or if anyone else has built up from distilled with a good result, what did your additions look like? Im think around 100ppm Ca and then bumping the sulfate up a good bit to help for a drying effect like i wouold in most IPA's or DIPA's but would love to hear what other people did. Thanks!

Mitch Steele on his book wrote: "Use municipal water (~300 ppm hardness) that has been carbon filtered and reverse osmosis treated to reduce hardness to 100 ppm."
He didn't mention sulphate or chloride, so that's up to your preferences (and knowledge)

If anyone has the 2.0 recipe please post! I just bought another 6er this stuff is so good. I need to make my own before my wife finds out its 15 bucks a 6 pack.:mug:

Back